Monday, February 18, 2013

Chapter 04: The Beast Within


After last night I felt I should do what I could to get her out of my system. I’ve avoided going to the places I know she frequents and I’ve ignored the sounds of Swan Lake pumping through the walls of this place. Yet it seems that no matter what I do, she’s always there.

I saw her again today. She was on the way to Miller’s Lake and stopped to have lunch at Carol’s Café on 9th Avenue. Her hair looked incredible the way it hung around her shoulders. If I didn’t know any better I’d think she was put here just to taunt me with something that I know I’ll never have; a normal life. She’s perfect in every way that a woman can be and me? I’m just…a monster.
-BF


_________________________________
Saturday, March 8, 2008 - Cresting Heights
_________________________________

“Great turn out!” Blake smiled and took a glass from one of the passing waiters as he joined Nick DeLong on the terrace overlooking the ocean. “I wasn’t expecting this many people to come out for me!”


“You’re kidding right? A talented new photographer working with one of the hottest fashion artists in the world? You have no idea how much of a hot commodity you really are Brother. Just wait until they get a load of your new series; the prints are already selling like hot cakes!” He lifted his glass in toast before bringing it to his lips. “Come on, there are some people I want to introduce you to.”


“Chance, Melody, this is my very good friend and creator of the fine pieces of art you see hanging around us now, Blake Foster. Blake I’d like you to meet Melody Prince, editor-in-chief of Grace magazine and Chance Lowe, owner of the Splash of Color Art Gallery.”

“It’s nice to meet you both,” Blake smiled cordially and extended his hand in greeting.


The trio shook and Nick excused himself to attend to the others at the party as Chance and Melody talked up Blake about his work. He took them on a guided tour of the pieces hanging around Nick’s living room explaining his ideas and inspiration behind them. Nervously he watched their reactions as he went through the many different photographs and paintings on display hoping this night would prove successful for him.


“Thanks for coming,” Nick waved as the last guest exited the front door of his high rise loft. “Whew, what a night.” He blew out a breath and helped Blake gather up the last of the wine glasses and plates and move them into the kitchen to be cleaned. “How do you think you did?”

“Honestly I couldn’t tell you. I really think Chance was impressed though. He asked me to make up a portfolio with my latest work and bring it by his office on Monday. He’s thinking about creating an exhibit for his next gathering.”


“That’s great Bro! If all goes well you’ll be the next Nick DeLong! It’s where I got my start after all. That’s why I wanted to get you here tonight. This is awesome! We have to celebrate!”

“Whoa slow down Nick I haven’t been promised anything or signed a contract yet. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.”

“Please! You sir are under my fine tutelage, you’re a shoo-in. The only thing left is deciding where you’ll stay.” He glanced over at his friend and heaved a heavy breath. “Oh come on! Please tell me you’re moving out of that mountainside loft and getting a real place?! You can’t pull on Mommy’s apron strings your whole life.”


“It has nothing to do with my Mother though she likes that I am close to home. I just so happen to like where I live. It’s low profile and secluded and away from all the crazy ass traffic you have to put up with here. There’s nothing wrong with where I live. In speaking of which, I’d better be getting home. I don’t want Puddles to think I’ve abandoned her.”

“Puddles. Fish aren’t pets, Blake. Someone should have told you that when you were a kid.”

“Oh? If they’re not pets then why are they sold at a pet store?”

“To feed real pets like snakes or birds or cats.”


“Whatever. I’ll catch you later man. Thanks again for tonight.”

“It was my pleasure. Just remember me when you hit the top!”

“Of course I will Man. You’ve been like a brother to me.”

“Yeah and one that will kick your ass when needed, don’t you forget it!” Nick walked Blake to the door and watched from his living room window as he hopped behind the wheel of his Shelby GT500 and took off. Blake was floating. He had the opportunity of a lifetime facing him and was pleased to know he did it without using his family name to cheat. He made his own connections and learned the business from the ground up and now he would have everything he’d wanted most: a lucrative position with a prominent art gallery and an internationally renowned magazine. It was the start of the perfect career in photography and art.


Blake drove quietly down the deserted stretch of Ocean’s Spring Parkway cruising along as he thought over his evening. Suddenly his car pulled to the left and a loud popping sound jerked his head towards the passenger door. “What the hell!” The wheel spun viciously and he did his best to maintain control and keep his vehicle from careening into the guardrail and plummeting some 50 feet down Baker’s Canyon.

“Fucking perfect! Way to end the best night of my life with a blow out!” Blake coasted his car to the side of the road, veering safely nearly the guard rail and away from any oncoming traffic; not that there would be any. It was a little after midnight and the streets to and from Tidal Park Heights were already barren of cars. No one traveled this area past ten since it was a known hotspot for the cops and their speed traps. 


Blake hopped out of the car and pulled out his phone hoping to call someone for help; no signal. “Are you serious right now?” he screeched and dropped the shiny black object back into his pocket.

He walked around the side of the car on the passenger front door and looked down at the completely shredded rubber sitting on his rim. The tire, what was left of it, had been nearly ripped off the car and appeared burned through. “What the hell?” He looked back at the road he’d just driven trying to find any signs of what might have caused the damage but saw nothing.


Pulling out his phone again he circled back towards the driver side and looked towards the path leading up to Talon Ridge trail, a local campground. At this hour he was hoping that a night ranger or security of some sort would be able to help him with his vehicle. He kept his eyes on the bars hoping to grab a hotspot somewhere and finally be able to make a call before finding a strong enough signal. He punched in the number to triple A and started walking.


But before Blake could get three steps away from his car, a low rumbling sound froze him in his steps. This area was known for its wildlife, another reason very few people chose to travel through here. And if his suspicions were right, there was some breed of large cat behind him; possibly cougar. Slowly he lifted his phone to his ear as he heard the voice pick up. “On-Star Roadside assistance, my name is Erica, how may I help you tonight?”

Blake swallowed hard, still too afraid of making any sudden movements or turning to face the animal just over his right shoulder. His mouth cautiously opened to form words for his plea. “Help large animal…” A growl caused him to jerk. His phone fell from his hands smashing to the ground and shattering into a few tiny pieces. “Shit!”


He didn’t have to worry about moving slowly anymore. Blake turned just in time to see the cold, glowing yellow eyes of a large beast charging straight for him. He screamed but to no avail. The animal had him firmly within its grip and swung his body once, hammering him hard into the hood of his car.

Digging its claws deeper into Blake’s back as he tried to crawl away, the large creature scooped him up, looked both ways on the street and scurried off towards Talon Ridge with Blake securely thrown over its shoulder disappearing into the thicket.

Three days later Blake awoke in the woods in an abandoned shed of some kind. He had no idea where he was or how he’d gotten there. What happened in the days to follow would change his life forever.


_________________________________
Present Day - Cresting Heights
_________________________________

I can never be the person I was before the incident. After the full moon that night I realized I was no longer human. I was no longer capable of being around those I loved without placing them in harm’s way. I can no longer be a part of society; her world. As much as it pains me this is my fate. I think back to that night often and try replaying the events in a way that the outcome is different. But there was nothing I could do to prevent this.


I’ve been on the hunt for the monster that did this but have constantly come up empty. The beast that turned me was older, experienced. There’s no way I’d ever be able to track it. I have so many questions, the major one being why. Why me? Of all the people the animal could have taken, why was I the lucky one? My life has changed completely and sadly I’ve been on my own this whole time. I wish very much for some semblance of my old existence. But I could never curse someone with this as I have been. Forever a monster, forever alone.

14 comments:

  1. Sad day. Poor Blake he was on his way up when that happened. He has not clue as to why but it was no accident.

    The big question is why. Why did he get attacked? What does the Beast want with him? He had nearly accepted his fate to live in solitude until Natalie happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blake was having the best day of his life that ended in tragedy unfortunately and a life of misery he's lead ever since. Someone or something needed him and knew he'd be out on that road and struck when he least suspected.

      That is the question :)

      Natalie has become a major distraction for him and it's making him do things he had already resigned to give up a long time ago. Hopefully he'll be able to get himself in check before bad becomes worse!

      Delete
  2. That last picture.... Oh, I hope I'm wrong, but I believe I might just be right. How's that for vague? LOL!

    Blake is KEEYYUUTTE! Oh, but of course he is. ;)

    So, that explains a bit of my last comment and the how. Still, the why is the problem, and I think he was targeted on purpose.

    Wait damn minute here!!! Where the hell is that 'newer post' button? It was my friend. :(
    I guess I'll have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes haha very vague...gah?

      Aww :) thank you. He is a hottie and the great thing about it is he was never hung up on his looks!

      Ah yes, the wolf. The why is the major issue here and when Blake finally explores that part of himself he'll discover a world of dangerous pack rivalry that will make him wish he had ignored his feelings for Natalie and stayed in bed!

      Um...yeah...about that. Oh! Look over there!

      Delete
  3. I was curious what made him into what he is...now the question is why? Was there a purpose or was it random? And why such the strong attraction to Natalie? And I agree with mypalsim, Blake really is a hottie :P Can't wait for more of the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The what was the easy part. Finding the who and the why are the other issues. He'll most certainly keep hunting for that though as he wants to learn why he had to be cursed and what purpose his attacked served if any. He was left alive that night for a reason he assumes. Natalie, yes, she appears to be his burden and his relief all at the same time. While he wants to be with her he knows that would be impossible yet he can't shake the feelings. Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. Wow I was pretty on edge for this chapter when he was stuck on the highway. :( So sad, his hotness has gone to waste all these years hidden from the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blake was in real trouble when his tire suddenly blew. He thought it was just going to be a little car trouble but it turned out to be so much worse than that unfortunately. It is sad he hid himself from the world but he felt everyone was safer this way.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  5. :( So sad! Just when things were going well for Blake, life threw him a big, hairy curve ball.

    But he should stop fighting his attraction for Natalie. There's a reason he can't get her out of his head. And I can't wait to see what that reason is :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah :( he'd just started on the fast track to success and was cut down in his prime. Poor guy lives alone and afraid that he'll hurt someone. Very true! He should listen to his inner desires and stop driving everyone away :D

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  6. He had such a promising future, very talented and smart. I'm pretty sure not much has changed, except for his own opinion of himself which seems to be destructive=/...edenz~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blake's optimism died the day he was changed and that really sucks for his outlook on things and his future unfortunately. He really does have the talent but no longer the drive to get there because he doesn't believe anyone will be able to see past his scars or the monster he's become.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  7. He's desire to lock himself away now is understandable.
    I worry a bit that he has the dreams of running - like American Werewolf in London, is he really only dreaming? .... ;)
    I think that not only is he upset about his looks, he fears what he is and what he might do as such a creature. Great update :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blake wants more than anything to be a part of the life he wants had but he loves his family too much to let that happen. His dreams are something of a mystery but they do mean more than he actually knows right now. While he's not sleep walking, there is something more about them that he'll soon explore. Although his face scares people he fears most hurting someone or worse, turning them into what he is!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete