Thursday, May 30, 2013

Chapter 13: Safe Haven


“Can I get you anything?” Nick asked stepping back inside the house and moving towards his bar. “I could certainly use a drink and you look like you can too.”

“I’m fine thanks but I have to go. I can’t stay here. My Mother is going to flip out.” She replied standing and starting for the door.

“Blake said it’s best you stay here with me, at least for now. Uh you think you can maybe call and tell her that you’re staying at a friend’s?”


“Are you kidding? Knowing her she’s already sent the National Guard to look for me. I told her I was going out with Jessica, she’s a friend of mine, but I shouldn’t be long. I ended up seeing Blake and letting him sketch my portrait. That was a while ago.”

“Well that’s perfect. Just call her and tell her things were running kind of late and that you’ll be spending the night.”

“The only problem with that is she’ll want to send my bodyguard over just to be sure. He’ll have to stay the night also.”

“Shit.”

“Yeah. She’s a little controlling.” Nick sighed as he tried to think a way around Natalie’s situation but continued to draw blanks. “Look I don’t know what I’m doing here anyway or why Blake thought I’d be safe but I don’t want to bring you any trouble. I should just go.”


“Please,” Nick grabbed Natalie’s arm as she stepped towards the door and gently tugged her back. She turned and he smiled as her eyes met his and warmly motioned for the sofa. “I’ve known Blake ever since we were kids and when he says something is urgent, he means it. He thinks it’s important you remain with me until he gets back and short of drugging you I’m not sure how I’ll accomplish that,” Nick again flashed a smile. “But please, try giving your Mom a call and try the cover story. If she insists on sending your bodyguard out tell her that you’re not going to be at your friends’ house but maybe going to a club. Drop my name; she’ll be more appreciative.”


“Your name?”

“Nick DeLong; and I’d be lying if I said most women didn’t know it. In the world of fashion I’m one of the biggest names.”

“The fashion photographer?”

“See, I’m not a liar,” he smirked, handed her his phone and started back towards his bar. 


Natalie dropped onto the sofa and dialed her Mother’s cell phone. After a little more coaching she explained the cover story Nick worked out for her and immediately called to give the same spiel to Jessica in case her Mother decided to check up on her story. “Wait, the REAL Nick DeLong? Like this is his phone number you’re calling me from?” Jessica squealed in delight. “Alright Nat I’ll let Mommy Dearest know if she decides to call BUT you have to promise me that we’ll actually go out with Nick DeLong for real sometime this week!


Natalie glanced at the famous photographer and sighed. “I’m not sure he’s into that…”

NATALIE!”

Nick grinned hearing the shriek from across the room and started towards her as he slowly sipped from the glass in his hand. “Well I can ask him ok? Just don’t scream like that again.” Lowering the phone to her chest she explained her friend’s condition and Nick quickly agreed with a chuckle. “It’s a yes.”


Great! Roxanne will be over the moon when she hears! And you KNOW you’ll have a lot of explaining to do when I see you tomorrow!

“Of course. Thanks again Jess. I’ll talk to you later.” She handed the phone back towards the man in her company and he dropped it to the coffee table as he took a seat beside her on the sofa. “Thank you Mr. DeLong.”


“Really? What are we like three, four years apart? It’s Nick; leave that ‘Mr’ crap for people with gray hair.” Natalie giggled and rubbed her hands anxiously on her thighs. “Cold?” She shook her head no. “Hot?” Again she replied negatively and he sighed. “Hungry?”

“Starving!”

“There we go! I’ll get something warmed up for you and we can talk.” Checking his wall clock, he frowned and shook his head. “Well…I guess not. I had plans for tonight but Blake wants…”

“What are we like three, four years apart? I don’t need a babysitter Nick,” she grinned repeating his words back to him.


“Touché! Well let me at least give you the tour.” Hopping up from the sofa she started behind him and he showed her the most important places in his large penthouse loft ending in the bedroom she’d be sleeping in. “So Blake tells me you were attacked?” He asked placing some clothes on the bed for her. “Do you know who it was?”


“I don’t know and he wouldn’t tell me if he did. They came out of nowhere and just started hitting and kicking him. He took such a beat…is he ok? Things were so crazy afterwards, he just immediately grabbed some stuff and we rushed through the woods I had no time to react but, he was hit really hard with a crowbar! Did he say anything about going to a hospital or something? I think he might be hurt.”

“Um…from what I know about him, he’s most likely fine. He’d have said something otherwise,” Nick replied solemnly. “He’ll be back soon and you can see for yourself.”


Natalie grinned inwardly and noticed a picture of the two on the dresser across from them. Stepping around the bed she picked up the frame and traced the outline of his face absently with her index finger. “Did he tell you about his face or why he wears the mask?” Nick shook his head no and Natalie sighed. “What else can you tell me about him?” 


Nick swallowed hard and rubbed a nervous hand through his hair. Surely there were some things he’d most likely not want told about himself. Though not being around one another in four years, he couldn’t do any real damage anyway. He walked over towards a photo album on the bookshelf and smiled. “You mean are there any naked baby pictures?” he grinned. “There are some things about Blake Foster I’m sure many could use for blackmail. Where do we start?”


Blake dropped down into the top pipeline sniffing furiously as he crouched just behind a large pipe in the bottom of the walkway. There was nothing except the mellow scent of sage and lemon; herbs burnt to mask the odor of their presence. He could have guessed it when they first appeared, no one is that strong and no one else would have dared attack him otherwise.


Moving cautiously he entered his home and looked over the shattered ruins of his artwork and much of his other personal possessions. There was no telling what they wanted or why they came looking for him but if something they maybe touched could give him a scent of who, he’d at least have a starting place.  
 

Thinking about how they went for Natalie and grabbed her the way they did infuriated him and this time he didn’t stop his wolf from howling. He dropped to the ground and tore at the concrete sharpening his already extended talons and smelled the blood of the man he’d dropped there confirming his suspicions. They were wolves and that meant they wouldn’t stop until they got what they’d come for, him!


“He really is talented in a little of everything. I’m sure he gets a lot of that from me though,” Nick laughed and shook his head in amusement. The door to his patio clicked shut and he looked towards the stairs. “I think he’s back. Why don’t you go ahead and get yourself showered. I’ll check on the food for you and fill him in.”

“Thanks again.”


Natalie scooped up the items on the bed and headed towards the bathroom as she heard Blake’s voice in the hallway. “How is she?”

“She’s fine,” Nick replied and pulled him back down the stairs as the shower started. “I gave her some clothes and she’ll be spending the night. She’s already spoken to her Mother. That took about twenty minutes considering the woman practically interrogated her; poor thing. It seemed like a normal occurrence between them.”


“Yeah she said her Mom was a little dominating. I’ve never met her myself but she’s one of those upper crest women so I can only imagine what she must go through.”

“Ah. Where did you two meet?”

“Who?”

“You and Natalie. You said you were hiding so I’m curious how she discovered you or how she was able to ‘go and see’ you.”

“It was accidental believe it or not. I saved her from a mugger and she followed me to say thank you.”


“Followed you? Blake where have you been all this time.”

“The sewers Nick, why is that important?”

“Because I have a spare bedroom and you could have come to me sooner Man! It kind of bothers me that you thought you had to hide from me. I thought we were closer than that.”

“We were, we are, but I had no idea how to control this thing! The last thing I would have wanted would have been to hurt you Nick! Then where would I have been? I did what I thought was best.”

“And now?”

“Now I need your help,” Blake sighed and looked towards the stairs again. “Thanks again with Natalie.”


“Sure thing. I have some stuff reheating in the oven for her, she said she was hungry. And I have a date that I don’t want to miss.”

“A date? Is it serious?”

“Please. The last ‘serious’ relationship I had was with that model from Fitt a year before you…vanished. Most of these women are just trying to get into the business and using any connection they can to do it. So while they are using me, I am very happily using them as well. Your Mom does a lot of setting me up too. She thinks and I quote ‘it’s high time you settled down and made babies Nicholas! You’re not getting any younger!’ She’s looking for a little grandchild or godchild as it were to spoil. When you get a chance you should go by and see her. Anyway I’m gonna go and get ready, don’t let the food burn.”


Blake nodded and watched Nick disappear behind a set of double doors before heading back upstairs to check on Natalie. The door to the bathroom was barely cracked and he could hear she was still in the shower. Stepping into the bedroom he smiled to himself as he caught a whiff of her scent again and looked towards the door. He gasped as her image was clearly visible through the opaque shower door and felt trapped like a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming car. Frozen in his tracks he traced every inch of her body as he had the day he’d had her in his bed and swallowed hard as he watched the water trickle down her soft skin. Her hair was wet and clung to her back and shoulders and she leaned back into the spray to wash away the soap.


Blake gritted his teeth and continued watching as the frothy white lather slowly slipped down her tan frame to her feet and felt the makings of his arousal the longer he stared. Describing her as a Goddess did not justify the gorgeousness of the sight before him; there just weren’t any words that could. She appeared completely peaceful as she washed herself and those dancer’s legs went all the way up. Trimmed, he smirked thinking he had more than enough hair for the both of them.


“Blake I have dinner ready for when you and your friend get hungry.” Nick yelled from some distant location within his home. “Blake?”

“Yeah, I’ll be down in a minute,” he responded turning his head slightly to address his friend. Moving his gaze back towards the crack in the door he was instantly met with Natalie’s stare and his breath caught in his throat. Shit, he thought, she saw me. Quickly Blake turned and rushed from the room tricking his mind into thinking of something else to put his body at rest.


“It’s in the oven, there’s a fresh pitcher of lemonade in the fridge or beer if you prefer. I’m sure you can remember where the soap is when you’re done?” Nick asked barely noticing the blush on Blake’s face as he spoke.

“Uh yeah, sure.”

“Good. If all goes well, I’m not sure when I’ll be home but um if you need anything my cell number is on the sticky note on the fridge ok? Try and take care of my place and don’t break anything please?” With that Nick turned and started for his garage. Firing up his Porsche, he gunned it down his driveway and disappeared down the street heading off to his date.


Blake entered the kitchen as he heard the shower turn off upstairs and wiped his palms on his pants to dry them. Nervously he kept watch of the stairs for when Natalie emerged but pretended to busy himself with the dishes to grab her something to eat.

A squeak on the banister alerted him to her presence and was immediately followed up by the sweet scent of peaches which he’d associated as her scent. He could feel her eyes on him as he moved about the cabinets grabbing silverware, cups and napkins but kept quiet from embarrassment. Natalie pulled out a chair at the table behind him and dropped her head into her hands as she watched him. “Enjoy the show?” she asked and saw the tension of his shoulder muscles. 


“I wasn’t…I didn’t…I’m sorry about that I didn’t mean to stare.” Finally turning to face her, he noticed the large smile on her face as he stammered his reply and sat a plate down in front of her before moving to the oven to pull out the turkey Nick had prepared. “Are you hungry?”

He fidgeted with the potholder a few times trying to pull the glove over his clawed hand as he coaxed his wolf back into its cage. “Yes; I kind of skipped lunch.” Natalie withdrew from the table and moved behind him as he finally got the turkey on top of the stove. “What are we having?”


“Um, green beans, mashed potatoes and turkey with…beef gravy?” He inhaled the scents of the pots around him without opening to look but the fact that he didn’t was lost on Natalie. “There’s lemonade in the fridge.”

She opened up the fridge door and pulled out the pitcher. “You want a glass?”

“Uh, yeah sure.”

“What’s wrong? Not your cup of tea,” she joked and placed the two glasses on the table as he followed behind with a plate for her.

“Something like that.” Natalie started eating and Blake watched silently as she filled her belly, smiling to himself as he felt a sense of inner peace being near her even in such a simple activity as eating.


“You’re not having anything?” Blake responded with a slight nod and smile. “Were you able to figure anything out about those men that came to your place?”

“No. I have no idea who they were or what they were after. I’m sorry about subjecting you to that by the way and I didn’t mean to yell at you the way I did; I was just kind of…”

“Angry. I understand really. If I hadn’t insisted on invading your space they would have never found you I’m sure. And I’m fine Blake it’s you I was worried about. They hit you pretty hard with that crowbar.”


“I can take a hit,” he smiled to himself and dug around his pocket. “I got something for you.” He slid a small box towards her and she dropped her fork and peeled back the tiny lid.

“You got me a gift?” Natalie asked in surprise. Blake noted the appreciative expression on her face and felt a tinge of sorrow that the item inside the box wasn’t something prettier and much more suiting someone of her nature.

“Not exactly,” he sighed dejectedly as he watched her pull the ribbon from around the container.

“What is this?” she asked sniffing the pale green herbs inside the small box.


“Sage; when I get you back home I want you to burn it. It’ll help um detract bad scents and stuff,” he shrugged trying to figure out the best way to get her to use it without explaining what he was. “It’s so no one knows you’ve been inside the sewers for as long as you were.”

Natalie immediately sniffed herself and frowned. “Do I smell?”

“NO! No, no, I’m sorry, that’s…that’s not what I meant. I mean I think you smell like p-p-p…you smell great Natalie I didn’t mean to imply otherwise.” He took a quick sip from his glass and sighed. “So Nick get you squared away?” He asked quickly changing the subject.

“Yes. He seems like a really great guy. You two have been friends forever huh?”

“Oh yeah. He’s basically like family.”


“It’s funny I’d have never thought someone like him would be so…human. I mean you know you see celebrities and think they’d be like…”

“Your high society friends,” Blake concluded for her with a stiff smile. “Many of them are I’m sure but not Nick. He never let that stuff go to his head.”

“Yes and it shows. He has a few albums up in the spare bedroom with tons of photos of the two of you. Some of them were kinda funny, many of them sweet. You look cute in pink and floppy ears by the way,” she grinned in reference to a shot of him posing as a rabbit for a children’s event at the local hospital and Blake laughed as he thought back to that day. “Blake, why did he think you were dead? What happened to you four years ago that made you go underground like you did?” He stood and walked his glass back to the kitchen and rinsed it beneath the spigot ignoring her inquisitive gaze.

“You should probably get some rest Natalie. I’ll be down here on the couch if you need anything.” 


“Ah more mystery from the mystery man. I get it; you don’t want to tell me. Afraid of ‘scaring’ me? I assume.” Natalie walked her plate into the kitchen and dropped it into the sink for him. “I’m used to it. My Mother treats me like a four year old still too. Tell Nick dinner was good when he gets back. I’ve never had turkey with gravy before and potatoes are a big no-no for me.” She smiled as she stepped up towards the staircase and he followed behind her watching as she began her ascent. “So…anyway, goodnight Blake. I’ll see you in the morning.”

Continue ---->

10 comments:

  1. Well I'm glad Nat's mom bought the story. That woman gives a whole new meaning to the word over bearing. :(

    Nick seems like fun and very down to earth. He was ready to help and do what Blake asked of him without a second thought. Having a friend like that in his corner is just want Blake needs.

    I wonder when it will hit him that the picture he was drawing of Nat is gone and they have a good idea of what she looks like on top of having her scent.

    I understand that Natalie wants to know more about him, but really she has thrown his quiet world into chaos by insisting on coming around after he told her not to. Now he's been attacked, had to come out of hiding, and possibly put his friend in danger and she's still asking the questions. It's not about treating her like she's 4, its about trying to maintain some of the privacy he held so dear. His secret isn't one you just drop on a person (well other than Nick LOL) and he really is trying to keep her from harm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nat's Mom heard "famous photographer" and thought "exposure for my daughter". In a way, her mother's snobby, entitled attitude worked for her. Sad but true. She really is overbearing!

      Nick is a really great person and has always been a loyal, trusting friend. It's a wonder why it took Blake so long to reconnect. But then again he didn't want to bring his hirsute situation into his best friend's life. Things will begin to get a little uneasy just when he thinks he's ok out in society again.

      That should definitely be a concern for him. He knows they may have her scent so he's having her detract the smell with sage but the images are a whole new issue!! But he'll remember, it'll just take him a moment to really calm down and think about the situation.

      You're right, she should be more patient and wait for him to open up to her. But she is too curious not to at least ask. She was in his home when the attack occurred and they came after her too. It's only right to know why those men were there and if she should be worried about her safety. But Blake is trying to keep that part of his life from her because he knows how dangerous it can be and really doesn't want to put her in the line of fire. Right now though it's sort of the blind walk into danger. Natalie has no idea what's really out there and that may be more dangerous than knowing his secret!

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Mica. I get that he intrigues her, but she needs to not take his evasiveness personally. He's trying to protect her in spite of the chaos she's thrown his life into.

    I like Nick, and he's hawt too, which always helps!

    I'll definitely be interested to see how much more Natalie can keep her mother at bay, especially when the wolves who are after Blake go after her as well. She can't stay at Nick's forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! That's something she knows he's used to and comfortable with considering he was living underground for four years. Opening up to a stranger isn't something he's going to do just because she asked. But she's trying anyway because she wants to learn as much as she can about the man that makes her want to rebel.

      Lol! It does help :P and thank you. Nick is a great person to have around in a panic, he's usually been there to keep Blake in line and guide him through life, a big brother. Which is always nice. Blake will really need that in his life at this point.

      Nosy Estelle Silverman won't be blindsided by anything. I'm sure when Natalie gets home she's going to be grilled like a thief caught redhanded! But she can't stay with Nick forever and Blake is doing what he can to ensure her return trip home is a safe one.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  3. Sorry ahead of time for the short comment, but my internet connection is iffy.

    Well, Nick does seem like a nice guy even a little more deep than the surface. He sure did rush outta there quick from a friend hehadnt seen in years for a date that didn't matter.

    Kinda had a feeling Blake wasn't going to spill a drop of info. The shower scene was cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been having issues here lately too. Honestly I think it's the manager in the office doing something because we're leaving this place and she's a real bitch.

      Nick's a sweetheart and will do what he can for Blake. But even the impromptu visit wasn't enough to interrupt his life, funnily enough. Nick did leave rather easily on a date after finding out his friend who was supposedly dead was really alive, a wolf and living underground for four years. He's a bit of a rash individual like that though and it did allow Natalie and Blake to have some alone time.

      Blake really can't tell Natalie anything without saying his a wolf. Knowing her curious nature, one answer from him would lead to 30 more questions that he's just not ready for. It's funny that Natalie never really freaks out over the idea that Blake peeps on her. Same as when she awoke in his bed. Not sure if that means she's just really comfortable in her skin or very just really trustworthy of him!

      Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  4. I like Nick. Sure he freaked out but he stood by Blake (bar his rushing off to his date). I think the melting moment was when it was revealed that he still keeps in touch with Blake's mom. That's what a true friend is. :') I'd like a piece of Nick to go with a side order of Blake's animalistic side!

    I wonder what those attackers wanted with Blake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick is an incredibly fun guy and very reliable which is so good for Blake right now. Haha yeah Blake's Mom lost one son I don't think it would have been good for her to lose Nick too. He is a real sweetheart keeping in touch though, she treats him like her own. LOL coming right up! :D

      Blake is wondering the same and at the same time hoping they don't go after Natalie to get to him.

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  5. The best moment was when Natalie said "So... anyway..." and not "So anywayS..." *LOL*

    Great great updated. Nick is a good ole' playboy, huh? Disappointing, but oh well... if he weren't, he would be married, and that would be worse. ;)

    I am really enjoying this. I think it's easily my favourite - so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Awkward silence between them is never a stranger!

      Marriage is worse? :P Well maybe since he does seem to be the loyal type. He just wants someone he can love on but as he said the models use him to get what they want, he might as well get a little something out of it himself!

      Aww that's so great to hear! Thank you!

      Delete