Thursday, October 17, 2013

Chapter 23: Pieces of Me


Bright sunlight shined directly into the bedroom and cascaded over a sleeping Natalie. It had been thirteen hours since the fight in the woods and still she hadn’t awakened. Blake was quickly growing panicked. The large bump on the back of her head had slowly started to diminish and yet she hadn’t so much as opened her eyes. He had been sitting up with her since getting her back to his place, watching her every second of the day.


And why not; he blamed himself for her predicament. Blake knew chasing her would only result in something like this but his wolf only saw his Natalie running away and needed to get her back. The silence in his home was broken with the sound of someone knocking on his front door and with an anxious sigh, Blake hurried down to answer. 


“Where is she?” Nick asked alarmed as he looked over Blake’s shoulder. He stepped to the side to let his friend in and Jessica hurried in with him.

“Is she hurt? Is she alright? Does she remember what happened?”

“Whoa slow down,” Blake spoke soothingly towards the blonde and nodded towards his staircase. “She’s in my guest bedroom, last door in the hall.” Without another word the two rushed forward and up to the second floor with Blake right behind them.


Jessica took a seat on the bed near Natalie and watched as her friend slept. Traces of dried blood matted the hair behind her ear and she gasped at Blake. “What happened?”

“She fell in the woods.”

“And you didn’t call us sooner? Has she seen a doctor?”

“I took care of her,” Blake growled defensively and exhaled a large breath as he felt the mutterings of his wolf under Jessica’s scrutiny. “I washed her up when I got her here; I guess I just missed that spot.”

“How long has she been like this?” Nick asked noticing the swelling on her temple.


“A few hours,” he shrugged as he regarded his best friend. “She saw something out there that may have scared her.” Nick nodded in understanding and knelt beside Jessica as she continued talking to Natalie and rubbing her hand. “She’ll be fine, I don’t smell…see any other injury on her. She’s just tired is all. I don’t think she’s slept much in the last four days and her body’s just catching up.”

“Have you told her parents yet?”

“Uh…yeah…her parents and I aren’t exactly on speaking terms Jess. I don’t even think they know about me – other than what Riley’s told them that is. They think I’m some homeless jerk with designs on their money.”


“Well you have to tell them! I know they are very worried about her!”

“Alright and how do you propose I do that? In your experience with Estelle what about her says she’ll be understanding about the stranger who rescued her daughter and just so happens to be the one they’ve been told is after her? I’d be locked up before I even told them my name. No, for now Natalie is fine here. When she wakes up she can make the decision about going home or not.”


Jessica spent the next several hours at Natalie’s side and the guys excused themselves downstairs to discuss the situation at length. “So what happened out there? You said she saw something that scared her. Was it you?” Blake nodded his head and dropped onto the sofa in his living room. “Dude!”

“I know. I told her to run, I couldn’t control myself anymore. Seeing Brody there, knowing the danger he’d put her in I just…I had to do something to stop him.”

“What all did she see?”

“Everything! She saw me change she watched him do the same, the fight, the mauling and Kibbles N’ Bits as you put it.”


“Damn…”

“It’s after that when she really saw me that she ran, fell and hit her head. I scared her,” Blake sighed and hung his head.

“Hence the real reason you haven’t called her parents yet; damage control.”

“I have to know that she won’t tell someone. Not just for my sake but for hers.”

“Well I’m just glad to see the both of you made it out alright. I can’t believe it was Brody all this time.”

“He wasn’t working alone. Honestly I don’t know what happened. There was an explosion and I just took the opportunity to get Natalie out of there. Someone helped me save her and I have a sneaking suspicion of whom.”


They heard footsteps on the staircase and turned in time to see Jessica making her way towards them. “I’m really worried about her. That bump on her head, she might need to see someone.”

“Blake has it all under control Jessica. Trust me after everything he’s gone through getting her back here he won’t risk anything happening to her now.”

She nodded and as she stepped closer, her eyes momentarly looking up the stairs. “I snuck some of her stuff out of her room,” Jessica smiled handing Blake the bag they’d brought with them. “Clothes and pictures and stuff nothing much but I grabbed her favorite sweater and jeans.”

“Thank you, she’ll appreciate this Jess.”

“You’ll call us when she wakes up?”


“Of course.” He watched as the two left and quickly ran back up the stairs to be at Natalie’s side. There had been no change in her status and he turned off the lamp beside her bed. Grabbing his diary he found a quiet place near the window and took a seat, ensuring he could see her from where he was.

The secret’s out and Natalie knows. There’s no easy way about this. I’m afraid I’ve really messed up this time. I’d hoped to tell her eventually in my own way but now it’s too late for that. She’s seen me for the monster that I am and now there’s no going back. The fear in her eyes when she regarded my form was enough to shatter my entire existence into a million tiny pieces. I wish more than anything I could have protected her from that.


Now I have to decide what I’m going to do. I can’t expect her to keep my secret as Nick has; she doesn’t deserve to have that kind of pressure on her. And after keeping it from her for so long I have no right to ask she remains quiet. To be honest I don’t know when I ever would have revealed to her what I am. How do you say to someone you care for that you’re some unheard of supernatural creature? ‘Hi, my name is Blake and on 3 nights a month I’m forced to live as a wolf’?

But listen to me go on about my situation when Natalie just went through the worst ordeal conceivable. On top of being betrayed by her longtime bodyguard and friend, she learned that I may not have been honest about the way I first met her. Dante revealed the fact that I’ve watched her. I can only imagine how bad her skin crawled when she saw those pictures. Fuck. This situation is even worse than I originally thought.

                                                                                                                                  -BF


Several more hours passed before Natalie’s eyes fluttered rapidly and she slowly turned over feeling her body reluctantly respond. Blinking against the bright light that beamed in through the curtains, she stretched and yawned. The soreness of her back made her wince as she sat up. The bell of the grandfather clock chimed and sounded unnaturally loud in the silence of the room, drawing her attention to it. Immediately her hand went to her head as the throbbing ache between her temples only increased as the clock announced the new hour.


“Hello?” she called, a frown furrowing her brow as she took in her surroundings. When she got no response she tossed her legs over the side of the bed, pushing back against the plush pillows behind her. Looking around, she became momentarily distracted by the elegant furnishings of the bedroom. She was lying in a large four poster bed, complete with silk bed hangings done in ivory and gold thread, matching the bedding perfectly. 


An armoire and a heavy oak dresser were pushed against one side of the room and two cozy overstuffed armchairs were angled towards a modern day fireplace on another. Large, plush carpets adorned the wooden floor and artwork covered most of the walls. “Blake,” she whispered and pushed off from the bed in search of him.

She didn’t have to go very far, as the door to the bedroom opened and Blake appeared carrying a tray of food with him. “Finally you’re awake,” he nearly sang as he watched her standing beside the bed with a confused expression on her face. “I heard shuffling and figured you’d probably be starving once you did so…” He sat the tray down at the foot of the bed and backed away from her, unsure of how close she would want him after everything that happened. “Are you…ok?”

“What?” she asked before dropping back to the bed.

“How are you feeling?”


“Super tired and my body’s sore.” She looked up at him as he took a step forward, her eyes locked on his face and studying it as if she was waiting for it to change.

“You just need to rest a little more. If you’d like maybe a hot bath might relax your muscles a little perhaps or I could make you some tea?”

“Tea would be nice, do you have…”

“Chai, yes; I remember.”

He smiled but Natalie didn’t return the gesture as she continued looking around the place trying to determine where she was. “Have you spoken with my parents?”

“Not yet; I figured that’s something you’d want to…handle.”

“Yeah it’s probably best.”


“But there is someone here to see you,” Blake announced with a smile. The familiar image of a fluffy, Champion bred Miniature Schnauzer trotted in behind him and hurriedly jumped onto the bed with Natalie.

“Caesar!” she exclaimed and quickly smothered him in hugs and kisses. “What are you doing here? How did you get out?” The Champion pet barked and Natalie laughed in spite of herself. “Yeah stupid question. You were never one for that gilded cage either were you? No! You always found a way out of your room and into mine. I’m so happy to see you,” she giggled as his tiny tongue went frantic against her face and she did her best to hold down the hopping animal as he tried to smother her with affection as well.

“He was scratching at the front door. It’s amazing how he was able to track you all the way across the city even with the marked territory and sage I’ve burned around us.”


“Caesar is VERY smart and even more determined, believe me. He’s never let the word ‘no’ stop him. It’s why he’s a champion in show four years running.” Caesar moved to the foot of the bed where Blake stood and started growling at him.

Blake smiled and took a step back as he watched him closely. “He’s pretty protective. Did you forget I’m the one who let you in here?” Caesar’s snarl turned into a loud, shrilly bark making Blake move even farther from the bed. “Ok, alright, I get it; too close to the…treasure,” Blake glanced at Natalie and sighed. “I’m gonna…uh go, um Jessica dropped off some clothes for you. There’s a towel and some unopened toiletries in the bathroom for you: toothbrush, soap, shampoo. You should go ahead and eat up while it’s hot and I’ll get you that tea and maybe a little something for your head? I’ll be downstairs if you need anything else.”


A few hours had passed and all was quiet upstairs. When she didn’t turn up around the dinner hours Blake had considered going up to check on her but she seemed to appreciate the privacy. Plus he’d told her where to find him and figured she’d come looking when she was ready. Hearing the wooden slats squeak above him, he turned towards the sound to find Caesar padding down the stairs and across the lounge towards the fireplace where he sat. Noticing the large brooding figure dancing in the shadows of the flickering light he began softly rumbling towards it. 


Very soon his tiny snarl became an echoed roar within the den and he lifted his head into the air watching the man carefully as he made his way towards the kitchen and his water bowl. Blake smirked to himself waiting for the animal to get near the door and growled. He watched as Caesar turned tail and tucked himself as far beneath his sofa as he could get. He laughed seeing the fluffy animal shiver and whistled for him to come back. “I’m sorry about that. But you started it!”


Blake reached out to pet the crown of the dog’s head but he jerked away. This time it was Caesar who growled and Blake immediately recoiled his fingers and placed his hands up defensively. “Ok, ok you win! I submit.” Caesar’s tail wagged merrily and he started again towards the fireplace with Blake.

“You love her,” Blake whispered as he rubbed his hand absently through Caesar’s fur. “I get it; trust me I understand that more than you could ever know. I’m no threat to her though, as you can see. Natalie is just…you should consider yourself lucky to be a dog. You don’t have to go through all this doubt and human emotion. Not only that, but she lets you sleep at the foot of her bed.” Caesar barked as if he understood and Blake laughed. “Exactly.”


“He was saying hello,” Natalie spoke gently as she made it to the bottom of the stairs. “And he doesn’t sleep at the foot of my bed, he takes the pillow beside my head.”

Blake stood and turned to face her as Caesar rushed over and begged to be picked up. “How did you sleep?”

“Fine I suppose.”

“For a while I thought you were out of it again. I wasn’t sure how well the medicine was working.”

“The headache’s gone and I’m starting to feel like myself again.” Natalie looked around the room as her feet slipped over the floor of his parlor making her way towards him in the den. “Where are we anyway?”


“My place; my real place. Nick bought my house after I disappeared and kept things just as I’d left them but I’ve been gradually updating it to give it a newer look; pulling stuff from storage and painting new canvases. The previous style was the old me and try as I might I can never be him again.” He paused as she dropped into the seat beside his arm and let Caesar down from her lap. “Are you hungry? I can make you some dinner or…breakfast,” he frowned noticing the time as 2:40a.m.

“No I’m fine,” she waved him off casually. “I noticed a lot of the work you have here isn’t like what you had at the other place. Less nature and more uh…human,” she stuttered noticing the nude woman hanging in the corner of the living room.


“Uh, yeah. I originally started with the human form and there’s nothing more beautiful in my opinion. But nature and the body are my two favorite subjects. I also dabbled a little in imitation and replication; my take on some of the most well known pieces of art. Then again what artist hasn’t? If-if it bothers you I can take it down,” he silently gasped realizing she must have been going over in her mind the number of women he’d had pose nude for him to complete the pieces. And even worse was the fact that he’d slept with each one.

“No Blake your art never bothers me; it’s beautiful.” She drew her legs up into the chair, looking down at the shirt she wore with a frown. “Bayside Fighting Llamas? What no hometown spirit?”

“When the home team loses constantly to superior teams with a lot more practice and way better athletes it gets kind of hard to root for them.” She pulled the collar around her nose and gave it a sniff, exhaling contentedly as she did.

“Lemme guess, you didn’t look?” Blake blushed as she alluded to an earlier incident between them and he shrugged. Natalie’s eyes wandered towards the bay doors and the large structure in his backyard and she stood to get a closer view. “What’s out there?”


“Uh…that is kind of a um project I’ve been working on. It’s still in its infancy so I…”

“Can I see it?” Natalie asked with her voice full of expectation to the point Blake was at a loss for denying her.

“Well it’s a little chilly outside,” he responded in reference to her clothing.

She smiled up at him and bounced energetically on her heels. “Gimme a sec and I’ll get changed.” When she returned, Blake casually strolled in front of her, opened the door and watched as she made her way out towards the backyard.


The cool, crisp night air whisked through the finely woven threads of Natalie’s oversized sweater as the wind swept her hair aimlessly across her face. And despite the trees blowing fiercely around them, the view of the snowy mountains off in the distance was all the more serene. She wrapped her arms around herself to delight in the warmth of her own body as Blake walked her beneath the weeping willow tree towards the greenhouse. On the way she noticed how immaculate his yard was kept. A manicured green top of grass cut to about two inches in height was perfectly outfitted with rose bushes and a variant of colorful wildflowers. 


She danced along the garden stones, humming as she played a mental game of keeping off his grass and Blake tossed her a smile over his shoulder. He opened the door to allow her to enter first and she took an immediate inhalation of air. A medley of smells wrestled within her nose blending together the wondrous fragrances of roses, lilies, daisies, jasmine and lavender. “Wow,” she beamed and fluffed a small bud of an African Violet. “This is amazing!” The scent of the place was intoxicating and she was enjoying the sight of so many flowers just as much.


Stopping beside a large array of lilies and hibiscus she glanced up at him and saw the huge smile on his face as he watched her delight herself with the colorful display. “Can we talk openly?” she asked and played with her fingers as he nodded his response. “That day we first met – when you saved my life, you didn’t just happen to be at the right place, right time; you were following me huh?” The question sounded more like a statement and Blake remained silent as he watched her walk the aisles of the greenhouse.

Natalie turned, timidly biting her lip as she regarded him, a shaky smile slowly developing on her face. “I saw your eyes that night. I mean at first I figured I’d imagined it because I was just so scared but, they WERE glowing.” He dipped his head and her smile fully formed. “And here I just thought you were an escaped mental patient.”


“I wanted to tell you Natalie. It’s just not something…”

“No I get it, I understand; I think.” She strolled slowly towards the bench near the back wall and took a seat, patting the spot beside her for Blake to join. “So you’re really a um…”

“Werewolf,” Blake finished her sentence and watched the wheels start to turn in her head. He could only imagine how that mental process was going; one he had been dreading for a while now. “I’m not dangerous; at least not anymore. I had a friend help me understand the depths of my abilities.”

“Nick?”

“No, not Nick.” He paused and waited on a cue from her before continuing. “When this first happened to me I was afraid. I didn’t know then how much my life would change but I knew it wasn’t something I wanted my friends or family to have to face so I hid. Now I wish I would have stayed invisible. At least then you wouldn’t have been hurt and no one else would have been placed in danger because of me.”

“Don’t say that. Hiding is never the right choice Blake.” Natalie rubbed her hands over her thighs and inhaled deeply. The awkward silence that now consumed the space between them made her question how well she actually knew the man sitting beside her. They had gotten to a place where silences were more comfortable and laughter came just as easily. But right now it all felt like a distant memory. “So what happens now?”


“I’m not sure,” he shrugged reservedly as he tried not to stare at the perfect way the moon lit her face and imagine touching her soft skin. “It’s completely up to you Natalie. If you want me to take you home now I will. I’m sure your parents have to be worried about you.”

“Yeah…right. I think you might be placing too much stock in them.”

“Actually I’m not. The day Brody took you they were on the phone with police immediately. Your father even organized a search party to find you.”

“My Dad,” Natalie smiled and lightly twirled one of her dark chocolate curls inherently. She sighed and released the hair and Blake watched it bounce back into place at once. “They’re not who I want to talk about right now though.” Instantly his mouth felt dry and he inhaled deeply as he waited for the other shoe to drop.


“Ok.” He simply replied and waited for her to continue.

“Have you ever been in love, Blake?” Drawing her legs into her chest she rested her chin on her knees and breathed in a troubled sigh. It wasn’t the question he was anticipating and it made him freeze as he heard it.

For a moment everything stopped and then he felt his heart beat faster than it ever had before as he thought she was referring to him. But just as it began to soar, it all came crashing down with the idea that the last 36 hours may have undone everything they’d started feeling for one another and he faltered. He glanced up to find her looking at him in anticipation but he had no answer to give at this point. 

He felt his head shaking with uncertainty. He didn’t want to say yes fearing she would ask who and he would be forced to admit his infatuation grew from a distant obsession to a profound affection for her and everything he knew her to be. He just couldn’t risk fracturing the already fragile relationship he’d imagined they had now by confessing to her. “I’m sorry,” she finally spoke breaking the silence he’d allowed to once again consume the space after the inquiry. “It’s not really any of my business. I shouldn’t have asked,” she whispered. 


Blake sat beside her, again letting the silence fill the room. It was foolish not to respond; it may have been the opportunity he’d been waiting for but he was too much of a coward to say anything. Everything inside of him prayed for the courage his written words seemed to have that was always missing in Natalie’s presence. He closed his eyes fighting back the demand for hesitation and let his lips move before his mind could over think and stop him again. “I have a confession,” Blake sighed and slid towards the edge of the bench a little. “This place,” he motioned with his eyes and stood. “It was started as a small token of appreciation for you.”

“Me?” Natalie pointed to herself in question. “Appreciation for what?”

“Helping me find my passion again. I don’t know if you remember the night you stopped by the waterworks building on a jog, I was sitting on the roof and you were heading to Ackerman’s. I caught up to you at the park…”

“It was the night you returned my necklace!” Natalie joined in as her memory was finally sparked. “I remember. What about it?”


“Well before I approached you I was watching you…for just a moment,” Blake added watching her eyes fall away from his briefly. Clearly she was thinking about what Dante said about the way he stalked her for weeks before finally speaking. “Anyway I saw the way you were with the flowers near the pond; one species in particular and I thought well maybe you should see for yourself.” He extended his hand for her to take and after a short pause she slid her palm into his and he walked her towards the back door of the greenhouse towards another section of the conservatory.


Natalie’s eyes opened wide as she was escorted into the room. Inside were dozens of growing, budding and blooming Moon flowers. Her hands came up to her mouth in surprise as she took in the sight and started forward. “These are my favorite flower!” she admitted and walked the aisles touching them excitedly. “And this is all for me?”


Blake nodded and Natalie ran towards him, diving into his arms as she quickly wrapped them around his neck and squeezed him against her chest. “This is the single most extraordinary thing anyone has ever done for me Blake, thank you.” In that moment Blake felt his chest swell with pride but more than that was the feeling of hope that what he and Natalie had been growing towards wasn’t completely lost. If he were honest with her earlier he would have shouted his answer from the tallest building in town. Yes, he HAD in fact been in love before and the only person to ever make his heart surge with that emotion was her.

Continue---->

18 comments:

  1. aww what a sweet chapter! I'm glad Nat didn't have a freak out when she finally woke up. I know I would have. I mean I went from not really knowing these creatures existed to having 2 people I know turn into one. But then again Nat does have her 'scary movie chick' moments. LOL

    I felt so bad listening to his thoughts. He was tearing himself up with worry and it was understandable. I mean he was not only outed as a wolf, but as a stalker type as well. Real reason for concern there. :( I am glad that Nick was able to convince Jessica not to go to Nat's parents just yet. Blake was right, thanks to Riley they would have certainly thought he was behind the whole thing and he would have been arrested. Since her parents don't really listen to her, no matter what Nat said they would have been out for blood and Blake would have been the one bleeding. :(

    The greenhouse was an awesome gesture! Before Nat infringed on his life, Blake was content to lead his solitary existence. She did give him a renewed life of sorts and it's so sweet he wanted to thank her for it. :D I understand why Blake didn't want to answer her question about being in love. He still has tons of self doubt and he's possibly not sure Nat has let all the events sink in yet. He doesn't want to face the rejection even if he is preparing himself for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      Natalie has her wits about her and I think that's something Blake really appreciates about her. Yep! She chased this stranger into the dark, creepy sewers. Stuck beside him when he almost changed on her and then snuck out of her house on multiple occasions to see him; definitely is a horror movie "scream queen".

      Blake believed that Natalie would want to run away and he understood if she did. He had no way of controlling how she received that information and knew it was damaging as they both stood there listening to Dante read over it. It hurt them both deeply but they are bigger people; better than most.

      Jessica's concerns are for Natalie's well being but Nick made a great point about Blake doing everything he could to get her home safely so she defaulted to common sense. Had he wanted to hurt her before, he had plenty of opportunities to do it. Riley has poisoned the Silvermans against poor Blake and he knew it would end badly if they learned their daughter was now in his care!

      Blake was very happy being invisible. Though he knew his friends and family were in mourning it was better than them realizing what he really was and placing them in harm's way. Exactly! He loves her, he wants her to know that but he's too afraid of what she'll say. All this time he has devoted to her may be received the wrong way and Natalie is still in shock in a way after learning what he was. There was no way he wanted to open himself up to even more pain than he is already dealing with. If she'd just give him a sign... :)

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  2. *cries*

    Soppy soppy goo. Silly soppy goo making me tear up. Where's the violence and killing?

    I'm glad Natalie did wake up! I was really worried that she was in a coma or something. I wonder how long would have to go by before Blake got her to a doctor?

    Jessica is a cool friend, stealing stuff from her room because she knew she wouldn't want to go back. If I was Natalie, I'd go under the radar with Blake and never go back. I get the feeling she won't do that, but they should at least be honest with each other before she returns!

    Love how Natalie just took the whole werewolf thing in her stride. Like it was just one of those things. haha! Blake is still surprised by her views sometimes, isn't he? I think he should explain the stalking, though. She seems ok with it, but it must be playing on her mind (like in the greenhouse, she looked away when he mentioned watching her)
    "Have you ever been in love?" Hmm... Wonder why that was playing on her mind ;)
    LOVE how she has her own little garden! It's sooo pretty :D

    Oh, and at the end there I was chanting "Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!" :p Dammit!!! Just do it already!! Nobody is there to interrupt this time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Sorry! Soppy? Really? Me? I'm...well I'm honored! I wasn't aware I could do that :D But with this being my "true" love story I think I can officially say "mission accomplished"!

      He slipped up in front of Jessica for a second there and said he didn't "smell" any injuries so he knew that she was not in need of additional emergency medical care. He could handle her needs from his home. Dogs have a keen sense of smell that gives them the ability to detect injuries so he would know if she were in any real danger. And Blake would NEVER let her go untreated!

      Jessica is her bestie and knows Natalie like a glove. I think having her around for when things got rough with not only Riley but the Brody thing helped Natalie get through it much easier. I bet Natalie would love to do that if she knew she wouldn't be hunted down by her parents lol. They will have a moment, not saying the L word will pop up but they will have a moment before she goes home that I think will make everyone happy.

      She really does still surprise him. I don't think he expected to get out of that so easily but Natalie has a ton of stuff to process and was out of it for a little while so now she has to take a moment and really think things over. She'll need to know more and Blake will be ready for her when she asks. The stalking is definitely something that needs further discussion. Especially if he was really watching her in the shower; that adds a level of creep to dear Blake.

      It was a very interesting question and caught Blake off guard! He was sorta hoping to talk more about his wolf and answer anything else she wanted to know. But emotions of love? Yeah definitely out of his element on that one face-to-face!

      Blake's dedication garden to Natalie was definitely the highlight of the night. I don't think even she was expecting something so sweet. No one has shown her as much kindness as her beast.

      Very true! Blake is very due that kiss and I think it's high time he gets what him and his wolf have been craving! :D

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  3. absolutely love this story! i have been reading it from chapter one. it's the perfect spin off of beauty and the beast which is the romantic fairy tale i ever saw growing up..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying it so far! :) I threw in pieces of Phantom of the Opera too but the twist of Beauty and the Beast (my all time favorite Disney movie) does have the most connections in the story! And hopefully like Belle, Natalie will get her happy ending :)

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  4. Awww, I loved this chapter!

    And Caesar! What a smart little beast he is! I liked how he was trying to be all Alpha with Blake.

    Like Mica, I also think Natalie hasn't quite processed all that's happened to her just yet. It's a lot to take in and I'm sure she wouldn't even know where to start just yet! I'll be interested to see how the next days play out!

    And the ending! You tease! You do that kind of thing so well! That poor boy needs his kiss!

    Loved this chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!

      Haha Caesar stood his ground for a minute there...until the beast roared!

      Natalie will want to know more about the way he was following her but she'll take her time and approach the subject the right way. I think they both right now just need to try and get back to where they were and feel comfortable again around each other. She was really beginning to see a dear friend in Blake before all of his happened; one of the only people she finds she can be real with. I think Natalie wants that back more than anything at this point.

      He does need his kiss (and probably a lot more). Poor Blake has had the object of his affections just a hair's breadth away and can't do anything about it. It's gotta really be building up at this point!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  5. Natalie's reaction to Blake isn't near as bad as he expected. I am a bit surprised too that she took it so well and wasn't terrified of him. I guess since she grew up with that mother of hers, nothing can scare her anymore. *L* .... His house is very nice and I am sure he thinks that Natalie looks perfect there. I am worried that she hasn't somehow contacted her family though, because Blake is correct, if they find where she is somehow, he is in real trouble. He has already readied the house for her though ^_^ Loved it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was absolutely terrified when she watched it happen; frozen in shock. And then to see his face again and the man she was beginning to get to know better, I think things sort of plateaued for her. She wants to be rational in an irrational situation and that shock (as well as some coming up) will keep her in a state of suspension for just a little bit. But when she finally comes back to reality, Blake will be ready to answer anything she wants to ask.

      Haha Estelle's "mothering" may have been a HUGE factor in Natalie's mellow demeanor.

      Nick was very sweet keeping Blake's home as he'd left it, though Blake is redoing some things. Ha! I'm sure he does! Blake is prepared to keep her; more accurately his wolf is. He's making claims on the poor girl and I think it scares Blake to realize he actually has no control over that feral behavior (as we'll come to see).

      Natalie will use caution when it comes to keeping Blake and her family separate. She knows how they feel about him and since she hasn't yet decided how she feels she doesn't want them running him away. Estelle has a way of ruining things Natalie wants most and Blake is someone Natalie can relate to and enjoys being around; an escape from reality so to speak. (And even more now!)

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  6. I hope Natalie will get over her shock and be willing to listen with an open ear and an open mind to the answers to the questions she'll undoubtedly have. I hope Blake will answer the questions in a truthful manner. I wanted to scream at him when he shook his head no, not really confirming an answer one way or another, but I worry that she'll take it to mean an outright no.
    The greenhouse was a sweet idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a great benefit to them both if she were to remain open about it all. Although Blake was technically stalking her, he never wished any ill will or had any negative intentions regarding her. Blake most certainly will be honest though. Natalie's the one thing he cannot risk losing because he wasn't being forthcoming and truthful! Natalie believes she stopped him from answering. Seeing his head nodding no wasn't what she was expecting or what she was willing to accept!

      It's the Beast's gift of the"library" from the Disney version -- something his "Belle" really loved!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  7. Oh thank god, he got her away.

    She seems, at least, to not be immediately afraid or repulsed by him. More like she's trying to understand and piece things together. Dancing along the stones in his grass, it's clear that she feels safe with him, and not only that, but comfortable with him still.

    Oh Blake. You've been in love. You are in love. But why did she ask that? Does she sense that he loves her? She knows now that he followed her, photographed her, before they ever spoke, that must be a weird thing to come to know about someone, even if previously the mutual attraction had been rising. Yet she throws herself in his arms. The flowers, for her, tell her what he can't.

    Damn you! That had KISS written all over it! ::headdesk:: :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blake saved Natalie and she's healing very nicely!

      She's curious. It was that curiosity that attracted her to him in the first place; figuring out why the masked man was hiding in the sewers. She'd very much like to understand who and what he is and hasn't seemed to really let it all sink in just yet. She does feel very safe with him. He's never done anything to harm her and in fact has saved her a few times now. She knows that he's had several opportunities to hurt her if that was the case.

      Blake has never been able to talk to her face-to-face about much. He has all the nerve in the world though through love letters and text messages. Natalie is having feelings of her own but she's a little lost and confused right now. She's afraid of admitting her feelings just as much as Blake. When the two first recognized their emotions in the other they always seem to grow shier and afraid but they know something is there.

      Natalie is still curious about his previous interactions with her and the subject does come up again (I think 25 or 26) so they aren't "out of the woods" on that topic just yet. She's still experiencing the cloud they once rode on and wants things to be somewhat normal. But she can't deny her feelings even if she tries. The flowers were something she was not expecting and knowing the sentiment behind them again made her through all question to the side and just live in that moment (something's she's done since she first met Blake). They are definitely saying words that Blake is failing to speak.

      Aww sorry :P They'll have their moment (and then some!)

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  8. Yay for Then Some! I see you have another chapter up. I still need to read Jazen's last one, and Gemma's, then I'll be back =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes they will definitely have a moment :P

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  9. Aww, that conversation at the end was so nice, both of them were feeling so anxious about the other's reactions... But that greenhouse was such a sweet gesture <3, I love Blake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely were! Neither wanted to make the first step but they both realize their relationship isn't how it used to be and there are no more comfortable silence. They both want to repair their friendship but neither really know how. Natalie wants answers and she's afraid to ask. Blake wants to make sure he doesn't scare Natalie away but he doesn't want to tell her everything right off the bat and do that. It's a delicate situation.

      Blake is a romantic. Although he never really used to be, solitude seems to have made him a better man. He wants to do things the right way and that includes the way he treats women...or at least one woman. He took the time to see what Natalie liked and made it a gift. It's what all men should do! :P

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete