Thursday, December 12, 2013

Chapter 27: Mark of the Beast


“Nick? Nick are you there?” Natalie cried as she sat on the floor of the living room in Blake’s home. The bloodshed that had occurred earlier was quickly drying into the carpet and Riley’s dead body was turning cold beneath that white sheet. “I need help!”

Natalie what’s wrong? Has something happened to Blake?” She paused with the sudden realization that Nick may not be aware of what his best friend would become three nights out of a month. “Natalie?


“I…” Silence came through from the other end as she tried to figure out how to put her dilemma into words but thankfully Nick took the issue out of her hands as he spoke.

Did the wolf attack you?

Natalie breathed a sigh of relief and shook her head no as she emphatically answered. “No, no, I’m fine but Blake is hurt and…and there’s a body.”

…I’ll be right there.


Blake barreled through the woods, large logs smashing like twigs beneath the strength of his huge paws as he moved. The pain in Natalie’s eyes kept him going; made him restless and angry. He hurt her, more than he ever wanted to, he hurt her. When she looked at him hovering over another body, one with which she had an intimate relationship, he couldn’t help but feel an ache in his chest as her shattered, fragile image sobbed the loss.


“Blake!” Angelo stood in shock as he answered the door. “I thought I taught you how to control this form, why…?” he stopped midsentence as he the familiar scent of blood fused with his senses and he took a step back. “You’re hurt!”

He turned so that Angelo could see the blade poking out from between his shoulders. “Brace yourself.” Blake clenched his teeth and closed his eyes as he felt the blade pull out an inch at a time until finally he was freed of the metal object. “This other blood, it’s not the girl’s is it?”


Blake shook his head no and slowly his human side broke through the fur as he collapsed at Angelo’s feet and cried. “I came close though, closer than I ever have before.” Angelo fell to his knees and pulled Blake inside the cabin as tears rolled down his cheeks.

“Tell me what happened.”


“She was there and I wanted her. I could see myself mounting her and savoring every inch of her body as she cried beneath me and I wanted it. I wanted to take her; mate her. I needed to more than I ever thought possible. And instead I made her cry. I’ve never killed anyone before. And now I’ve taken two lives and Natalie has been there to witness it both times and both were people she knew and loved. I’m a plague on her life. I can’t keep hurting her like this.”


“Then you have a choice to make. You can give her up; turn away from her and live alone for the rest of your life or risk harming her fatally because of the animal inside of you.” As Angelo spoke those last words, his voice became a whisper. Blake looked up at him and could tell it was a decision that weighed heavy on his heart as well. 


He watched him walk across the room and drop into a chair in front of the fireplace and motioned for him to join him. Blake took the empty seat beside him and waited for Angelo to begin again. “I know the magnitude of the decision you have to make I was once in the exact situation myself. I was young, like you, and had just married the love of my life. Beautiful little thing, hair as black as the night, eyes the envy of the brightest emeralds in existence and a smile so bright it could put the sun to shame.”

“We were lovers since birth, she would tell me; a match made in heaven, destined to be. We met when we were kids, high school teens who knew everything and never took no when it came to something we wanted. That is until the day I discovered what I really was. It started as headaches, a few nights before the full moon. I’d become restless, couldn’t sleep; I kept having these visions of a large, black wolf hunting me down and always waking up before he attacked.” Blake gasped audibly as he recalled having similar nightmares of his own.


“My wife thought they were just silly dreams, remnants of an overactive imagination that kept my hand moving during the day. I was a painter and a master crafter you see and it was often from these dreams most of my works of art came from. But I knew it was something else; something more. It wasn’t until the first moon that I knew for sure. The worst pain imaginable struck me violently while I slept. I hopped from the bed, barely making it into the bathroom before every bone in my body broke.” Angelo fell over on his knees as he spoke, recounting the night of his first transition with eyes wide and glossy.

“I screamed bloody murder and could hear my wife banging on the other side of the door to let her in. The concern in her voice tugging at my heart but I refused to give in. I didn’t know what was going on but I knew opening that door and letting her inside would have only ended one way. I could smell the blood pumping through her veins, hear her heart beating inside her chest and all I could imagine myself doing was ripping her to shreds and feasting. The bloody scene of her death helped me keep my distance, as hard as it was to fight.”


“When she started beating the door down, I made a decision to jump out of the window and get as far away from her as I could. That bathroom must have been a sight for her; blood, hair and teeth everywhere. As I ran, I found sanctuary in an abandoned farmhouse some miles down the road and took up shelter hoping to wait it out until the night passed. It was there I was first approached by Dante.”

“He had been tracking me for some time, knowing the smell of my blood; it’s a wolf ability. Long story short, he made me a proposition: give him the power that I possessed and he’d give me a cure to end the curse. Naturally I thought the man was off his rocker and adamantly refused any deals he had to make. Later on I found out why it was me he wanted and the true depth of my ability. I was an Alpha, natural born, like you and had the command to make even the most powerful wolf kneel before my might. Yet sadly I never really got to experience the height of my abilities.”


“It was a few short months after my first transition when I learned my wife was pregnant with our first child. I wanted more than anything to be there for my family and watch our children grow up without fear of harming them because of what I was so I went to Dante and I made the deal. Only it wasn’t exactly what I was expecting.”


“Dante tricked me. He took my status and he made me a much weaker version of myself but he never cured me as promised. After he got what he wanted from me he told me the only way to get rid of the wolf’s curse is by consuming the blood of pure love; my wife. He wanted me to murder my own wife to free myself of the shackles of this curse. He knew had he told me before I’d have never accepted the offer. So without my strength, my speed, my pack, I ran. I went as far as I could away from my family because there was no way I could be around them with the driving need I had to feed.”


“My wife gave birth and I watched her raise our son alone; never again able to be a part of their lives. Since then I traveled the world. Going anywhere and everywhere I thought could possible lead me to an alternative source for a cure. I trained myself to turn when I wanted and when I didn’t, forced this animal to live off of meat from the grocers, vowing to never taste a drop of fresh blood again. And I’ve spent a better part of my life studying Dante’s every move so that I could one day exact my revenge on the man that took everything from me.”


Blake sat in silence as Angelo finished his story and shook his head no. “You said I had a choice but it seems to me I’d lose Natalie either way. To me, neither of those would serve me any good. I can’t lose her; she’s the very air that I breathe. It’s like taking the only plate of food from a starving man. I won’t do it.”

“You have the mark of the beast Blake. A sacrifice must be made in order to heal the damage that’s been done. But it’s a decision no one else can make for you.” Angelo spoke as he gathered a bag of tools from beside the fireplace. “Stay as long as you need. I’ll be back soon.”


“Where are you going?”

“Cresting Heights; you said there’s a body. I’m gonna help clean it up.”


“Holy crap!” Nick exclaimed as he entered the opened door to Blake’s home. Natalie was on her hands and knees in front of the body crying hysterically. “What the hell happened?”

“Riley came as Blake was leaving to find seclusion and he grabbed me, Blake didn’t like that very much. They fought; Riley stabbed him just before…”


“Where did he go?” Nick asked picking Natalie up and guiding her to the couch. She was shivering frantically and trying her best not to peek over his shoulder towards the door and the body that was barely covered beneath a white sheet. 


“I don’t know. He didn’t say anything; I don’t know if he can talk in that form or not. He just looked at me his eyes were so red and angry. He turned and ran out the door. Nick he was hurt. Riley stabbed him! He had a knife sticking out of his back and I tried to help him, I wanted to. But the way he looked at me, I was scared.”

“It’s understandable Natalie given what you just went through. And me I’ve never seen that side of him fully so I have nothing in comparison but I know how scary he gets when he’s angry. I’ve seen that at least a few times.” Nick glanced over towards the door and nodded. “Who’s the guy?”


“My ex-boyfriend. He’s the reason my parents think Blake is a bad person and they’ve never even met him.”

“Ah. So basically Blake is a hyped up jealous boyfriend on supernatural steroids with a proclivity for human flesh; that’s…that’s great. I have no idea what we’re doing here Natalie or how we’ll explain this to the cops.” 


“That’s easy,” Angelo spoke as he stepped into the doorway. “You don’t. You let me take care of this and try and forget it ever happened.”

“Excuse me, who are you?” Nick asked taking a stand in front of Natalie protectively as the stranger helped himself inside the house, shutting the door behind him. He grinned in Nick’s direction watching him shelter Natalie behind him thinking to himself how admirable a trait.


“You’re Nick right? The best friend. And you must be Natalie. Blake has told me a lot about you. I’m sorry we couldn’t meet under better circumstances but times being what they are…I’m Angelo; I’m a friend of Blake’s.” Nick’s eyes narrowed hearing the name, it sounded strangely familiar and he glanced towards Natalie who stood and moved to his side as Angelo came further into the living room. 


“Is Blake…is he…?” she started, uncertain she wanted to know the answer to the question.

“Blake will be fine. He got to my place and I pulled that knife out of his back. He’ll heal and be as good as new come morning light.”

“Alright Angelo, friend of Blake’s, what exactly do you plan on doing with the body?”

“Digging a deep hole and tossing him inside, that’s normally what one does with the dead.”

“He’s the mayor’s son,” Natalie chimed in. “If he goes missing…”


“Well then I’ll just have to dump him some place he’ll be discovered. The tragic victim of a cruel animal attack; I suppose it’s not too far from the truth.”

“Riley was anything but a victim,” Natalie scowled glancing down at his body. “He was mean, he was arrogant but there was a time when I loved…I was the victim and anyone else who got in his way. Excuse me,” she sniveled and rushed from the room.


“She’s taking it pretty hard.”

“Well he was her ex-boyfriend.”

“Somehow I don’t think it’s him she’s crying over.” Angelo knelt beside the sheet and pulled a large, black body bag from the knapsack he brought with him. Within moments he had Riley’s body tucked inside and was using a box cutter to extract sections of Blake’s carpet and shoving it into his bag. “You’ll want to disinfect the wood beneath. Try not to use anything abrasive though, these are pretty nice hardwood floors.” 


“Yeah, thanks.” Nick answered as he heard the sink turn off in the bathroom. “How’s Blake holding up?”

“Right now he’s going through the motions. But his guilt will eat him alive if he doesn’t find an outlet.”

“I guess for some killing just comes easy but that’s not Blake! He’s not a monster!”

Angelo scoffed at the insult and shook his head as he stood. “Blake is a wolf, like me. We’re not locked into conventional rules that you humans live by. We’re hunters, we’re predators, it’s in our nature to kill. Whether or not Blake has accepted that part of himself or not is not my concern but one thing I know for certain, the wolf always wins out. Right now Blake is in over his head with this thing. I pulled him off the ledge once before but I fear he’s about as stubborn as the day he was born.”


“What are you talking about?”

“He wants to end his curse but like I told him there’s only one way to do that, a sacrifice. I’m afraid if he doesn’t see reason soon he’ll make a decision that will cost him everything, like me. And I’d hate to see history repeat itself.” Angelo gathered up his belongings and slung the body bag over his shoulder as he started for the door. “Only the blood of pure love can save him and it’s not a choice to be made lightly.”


Natalie waited until she heard the front door close before joining Nick again in the living room. “Hey! How are you feeling?” Nick asked approaching her and gently caressing his hands up her arms. She shrugged in response and he pulled her into his arms and held her tightly. “You should come back with me to my place. I don’t think you should be alone tonight.”

“I don’t…I’d like to stay here Nick if that’s ok.”

“Of course. I’ll just crash on the couch or something.”

“So now what?”

“Now we wait and see what the morning brings.”

Continue---->

12 comments:

  1. O.O Angelo saves the day! But am not liking the sacrifice thing! I want Blake to learn to control his urges! Really hope Blake can find that option 3 and save his relationship. And hope it's not too late for Angelo!

    I really like Nick, he's a protector and that helps Natalie in this situation. I hope Angelo gets rid of the evidence well enough! And I hope they've not overlooked the car Riley must've come in...

    Natalie is a very stong girl, I hope Blake comes back in the morning and talks about it, but I get the feeling he may go into hiding again. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's good Blake knew where to go when he was in trouble and it's nice he has someone to run to when he needs. Angelo's story was dark and compelling and it's something that Blake is not looking for ward to seeing through. He hopes more than anything that what Angelo has told him isn't the definitive answer to everything but...there's really only one way to find out.

      Nick is a great best friend. Even though the man storming in the door was large, scary and had glowing eyes it didn't stop him from stepping in front of Natalie to protect her. That's a trait you just learn and the fact that Blake has a friend that loyal and willing to help says a lot about him. Angelo will do everything he can to take care of this situation though and keep it quiet so nothing blows back on Blake.

      The things Natalie's had to handle (her mother in particular) has in a way shaped her to be able to deal with anything. It's her hope also that he'll return in the morning and that's why she didn't want to leave his house. You're right! This is just the thing that Blake didn't need. He finally got the girl of his dreams and she knows his deepest, darkest secret. But the idea of harming her any more is enough to drive him back underground and away from her and Nick! And hearing Angelo tell him there's very few options that won't lead to her death or some other grisly outcome, really not helping!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  2. LOL I have to say I loved Angelo's nonchalant attitude about the dead body. Not that I mind since it was that dickwad Riley, but still. That was funny.

    Glad Nick came to the rescue, even if he was a little out of his element.

    Ok so Dante was a human before? And wanted Angelo to turn him but in doing so he lost his powers and Dante over threw him? Yep he's next on my hit list! (man I don't think you ever write a story where I don't have one LOL)

    If Angelo was always a wolf, it does beg the question where were his parents? How in the hell do you not clue your son in on what will happen to him? I don't get that.

    Ok Angelo's story, I know I have delayed reactions with things but me thinks Angelo is Blake's daddy. He (Angelo) was born a wolf, an Alpha. He told Blake that he was also an Alpha which is why Dante was after him. He said he's been watching his son grow...and he 'saved' Blake the night of the attack. Plus that being stubborn as the day he was born line...um yeah how would Angelo know unless he was there to witness that????

    Now I'm thinking that night wasn't an attack, he was changing for the first time and Dante was there to kill him but Angelo intervened and saved him (hence the scars). Being an alpha is not something I think could happen from being 'turned' it would have to be in the blood line. Dante is an alpha by force, he won a fight or something however that works, but he won't ever be a pure Alpha which is why he is after Blake. Blake is the one person that can end him.

    That does beg some additional questions I need to figure out. If Dante had been tracking Angelo, why not kill Blake when he was a baby? He seems like the ruthless type, he had to know what Blake would become, so why wait? He clearly doesn't fight fair, so why not take him out before he became a threat? Also how does Natalie play into it all? She and Blake hadn't really crossed paths before, so why plant Brody with her family? That little bit puzzles me and I feel like I'm missing a HUGE chunk of the puzzle there.

    Lastly, that bit about the blood of the true love. So the only way for Blake and Angelo to be free of the curse is to kill the one person they love most? Um morbid much? I'm sure there is some twist to that that Dante has left out.

    Ok I think that's it. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Angelo's seen his share of dead body. I think Nick even made a slight about that considering the man came in with such a deadpan attitude. He doesn't see Blake as this monstrous killing machine but Angelo told him simply, the wolf always wins!

      Haha not sure what Nick thought he was gonna do but Natalie needed his help and Blake asked him to look after her for him and he's being a loyal friend. Calling the police would have been VERY bad so it's a good thing Angelo got there when he did!

      LOLI Perhaps I should work on that :P Then again you always need a bad guy! But you're sort of right. Dante was a wolf but an Omega (in wolf terms that's the lowest on the totem pole) so he found a newbie wolf, one he knew he could trick into getting what he wanted and one who was an Alpha on top of that. Using his guile and trickery he fooled Angelo into believing he could cure him and took his powers to become Alpha. Basically they switched places. (As you probably can tell the lore in this story is different than AM as it's not possible to knock a wolf from Alpha status in AM by means of a switcheroo). Still with me? Good!

      Great question but since it was something that happened to him out of the blue we can say for the sake of argument and story purposes since they don't have a role in his like that both his parents are deceased. So no one to guide him because this is definitely something a parent would want to share with their child >:)

      --------SPOILERS FOLLOW DO NOT SCROLL IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE!------
















































      Well, well, well...that detective mind of yours has been working overtime then hasn't it my dear? Angelo's story was quite revealing; it's a shame his son didn't pick up on those same clues as he sat there listening to him talk!

      On a roll now aren't you? But you're right again, it wasn't Angelo attacking Blake, it was Dante and Angelo came to help him, dragging him off to the woods where he woke up. Angelo told Blake this much in C17 when he accused Angelo of making him a monster. And as you mentioned Angelo's parents not revealing what he was to him, Blake at least had his father to watch over him, waiting for that day he turned. "Alpha" is a blood thing and that is why he is after Blake. He knows at this point, Blake is the only one who can take him and well, Dante just can't have that now can he? And while he still has no idea of his true powers, Dante is hoping to take him too or as Angelo put "have history repeat itself".

      Dante was tracking Angelo but he found him at that farm, not the place he had been staying. Angelo went back occasionally but mostly after Dante had already gotten what he wanted. Most of the how with the rest of that is explained in C29 though :)































































      --END OF SPOILERS--

      Brody was just the wolf who happened to be in the right place at the right time. Angelo told Blake that Dante was looking for him since the night of the attack and that he had several eyes around town in order to help. Brody taking a job at a major security firm got him into places others couldn't go. Then ending up with an influential family helped him get into the world they knew Blake was a part of, the high society. Basically if it wasn't Natalie, Blake would have been spotted at some point or another. He just became fixated with her and Brody happened to be the one there. Nothing too major :)

      Perhaps morbid if taken literally. It's kind of sad but love is the sacrifice they must make. In a way Angelo has already hasn't he? :( But it would be just like Dante to leave out the important facts in order to get what he wanted. They shouldn't put much stock into what that man told them at all!

      Roger! I'll be here bud! :D

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad Natalie now knows she can confide in Nick. It must be a huge relief not to have to go through all of this on her own. I read Jazen's comments -- very insightful. I hadn't picked up on most of it myself. But, now that she mentioned it, Angelo not wanting history to repeat itself is rather telling as well. There's got to be another option they just haven't discovered yet -- Blake could never kill Natalie. She's his reason for living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick has certainly proven himself to be a dependable friend and confidant. It's interesting that Natalie called him but I suppose she did this because he's Blake's best friend and she'd hoped he revealed to him what he was. Still at the start of the call she was a little unsure. But Nick came over and it was great because Natalie really needed that shoulder to cry on!

      Jazen's comment certainly held some deep insight. My reply to her may have a spoiler or two and are marked as such in case others are not interested in hearing the answers.

      Blake won't settle for what Angelo has told him. He's the happiest he's been in a long time and will do whatever he can to find another way to end this thing with Dante and his untameable wolf once and for all! He could never and would never harm Natalie and can't think of being without her now that she's his!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  4. I think they all messed up. It's Pure Love's KISS that breaks spells, not a witchy cult sacrifice. That's what happens when guys start to think, they want blood. pffft

    Angelo's story is sad. He was born to be a leader, but why did he have to go through everything all alone? He must have family around. Dante was awful to trick and hurt someone for his own gains, simply because he wants to be a leader... but that happens with all who want to be something they were never supposed to be... they are corrupt.... my mind is wandering.....

    Nick is a saviour again. I am very glad for Blake that he confided in his friend. Now Blake just needs to get through the rest of the down time and figure things out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It's Dante's way of messing with them. He knows they'd never make that kind of sacrifice so that's what he told them was needed and they haven't been able to confirm or deny that claim yet.

      Unfortunately for him he had no one around to help him so when his change hit, he didn't know what was happening. Born an Alpha to a world he never knew existed. Dante is a cruel, evil man and will continue hurting anyone he needs to in order to get what he wants. He doesn't care about anyone or anything outside of his own selfish desires. It's true! Jealousy causes people to do a lot of terrible things :(

      Nick has been the best thing for Blake since he came up from where he was hiding. He never once questioned him or hated him for the choices he's made. It's nice to know he can count on him when he needs to. Even in this kind of situation where he had no clue what to do lol.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  5. Wait wait wait! It's just BLOOD they need, right? You can give blood without killing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can absolutely! But they'd have to test that theory to know if it would work or not and thanks to Dante they are under the belief that it requires a full bloodletting sacrifice. There's only one way to find out though huh? :P Think Natalie will want to try?

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh, I'd forgotten all about Nick. He's the perfect person for her to call, I'm so glad she thought to do so. This is gonna shock even him, though.

    “Ah. So basically Blake is a hyped up jealous boyfriend on supernatural steroids with a proclivity for human flesh; that’s…that’s great."---hahahahahahaha. Well put.

    Angelo's story was sad, and touching. I truly hope you'll help Blake find a way to co-exist with his two realities and still have Natalie. I used to be a bit suspicious of Angelo's intentions, but hearing his story, I can't help but feel bad for him. And it's good that Blake had him to run to this time. Plus, it's never bad to have a friend who'll help you dispose of a body :D And looky, he's even got a body bag. Talk about being prepared. Oh! Even with floor cleaning tips! lol.

    Hmm. The blood of true love. I somehow don't think Blake will choose that. But yes, we'll wait and see what the morning brings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calling Nick was great but he had no idea how to handle the situation short of calling the police. And with Riley being the Mayor's son, that would have opened a HUGE can of worms. Lucky for them that Angelo showed up when he did.

      Lol! Nick can always see the truth of the situation and put it succinctly! Lol. That is a pretty scary thing though, the jealous rage alone would be scary. But add that to what Blake is and yeah, best to keep your distance.

      Angelo's had a pretty rough time since discovering his true nature. And while poignant he is hoping the story tells Blake there is a better choice and helps him make the right decision. It would be great to be able to find the solution for them both but some love stories are tragedies. Angelo did seem to come out of nowhere (plus knocking Blake out the first time they met...not exactly the best way to introduce himself). But he does want to see Blake succeed where he has failed. As I always say a friend who helps dispose of bodies is a friend worth keeping! Not...that I've had many um...bodies to um...dispose of. JUST SAYING! Haha yep he came prepared too! Even better :P Angelo loves woodwork (he lives in the forest lol) so he knows how to keep wood looking nice. He'd hate to see those floors get ruined :P

      Blake would never want to have that option be his only choice, ever! He will have to decide what's more important and work out his issues if he wants to keep everyone he loves safe.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete