Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Epilogue: All’s Well That Ends Well


Five Months Later

Natalie sat in front of Blake’s grave thinking back over that night and the events that had led them there. From the moment Blake had come into her life things had changed. But never in her wildest dreams had she imagined him to be the beast he turned out to be or to have as much love and compassion as he did. She was grateful he had been there for her in her time of need but regretted not telling him how she felt the moment her feelings had changed. 


She read the inscription etched into the granite and sighed as the words hit home. “There is nothing in the world so wonderful as to love and be loved; there is nothing so devastating as love lost.” Placing a bouquet of fresh roses on the plot, she stood with a smile and one last look at the headstone before starting for home.


Her rose, one of the last things Blake had given to her sat on the end table in the living room preserved beneath a glass jar. Natalie slowly approached as she felt the baby start to kick. Rubbing her hand over the tiny protrusion she lulled her little angel away from her ribs but he seemed content with making a home on her bladder instead. She smiled thinking about her baby and hoped he would have Blake’s eyes. “That would be nice.”


“Hey, you’re back! And talking to yourself again,” Blake smiled stepping into the doorway of the lounge.

“I’m not talking to myself; I’m talking to our baby.”

“Oh I see. And does he respond back.”

Natalie groaned slightly again rubbing her tummy as the tiny person inside her made his presence known. “Oh yeah, he likes talking and playing the drums on Mommy’s ribs.”

“Want a massage?” She replied with a small nod no and dropped her purse to the table. “So how was it?”


“Weird.”

“Yeah I know. That’s why I didn’t want to go with you. Kinda don’t want to see my own grave you know.”

“Yeah I get that I just wanted to see it for myself.”

“Ok, so anyway, I was thinking about our wedding and I did something that might be considered spur of the moment.”

“Oh no. You didn’t purchase another taffeta dress from ‘Brides to be’ online did you?”

“Hey I was on an engagement high, happy when you said yes…”

“Like my answer would have been anything else.”

“…Anyway I was trying to surprise you and show you how excited the idea of you being Mrs. Blake Foster made me.”

“By ordering me a white taffeta dress with a pink underskirt? Gee thanks!” 


“Only the best for my fiancée. But no I took the liberty of purchasing that honeymoon special we saw from the travel agent on 9th Avenue.”

“You mean the European Dream with Paris, Nice, Montpellier, Rome, Venice, Florence, London, Dublin, Barcelona and Madrid?”

“That very one. While exploring the enchanting and culturally rich and historic cities with my bride-to-be, I’ll also be submerged in artistic inspiration. Should be fun!”

“I know another way of being ‘submerged’ that could be fun too!” Natalie grinned while pushing her lips against his until he submitted and pulled her closer.

“I’d love to, I’d really, really love to just not now.”

“Mmm and why is that?”

“Because that’s getting to the other surprise. There’s someone here to see you.”


“Dad?” Natalie stood stunned as he entered the living room behind Blake. “What are you…how did you know where to find me?” Arthur shook his head solemnly as he approached her and before saying a word, pulled her into his arms for a hug. “Daddy?”

“I know you asked for time and I knew there would come a day you’d leave home but I couldn’t let it be under these circumstances and after just getting you back again; forgive me for not listening.” He gripped her tighter and she could swear she felt him shudder against her as she hugged him back.


“Daddy I’m sorry; I just didn’t know what else to do.”

“There’s no need for apologies. I saw firsthand how your mother was and it’s my fault for not knowing sooner.” They took a seat on the couch and Blake moved forward into the living room, excusing himself so the two could talk. “One second young man,” Arthur spoke before he could completely exit the room.


He turned to peer into the hardened gaze Arthur gave him and moved just a little closer to where the two sat. “Do you know who he is?” Natalie asked, watching her father and Blake in what was quickly becoming a staring contest.

“After you mentioned artist, I put it together.”

“Just from the word artist?”

“Sweetheart, I didn’t build a Fortune 500 company from scratch and remain number one in my field for eleven years on good looks alone, I am capable of thought. Plus I spoke with Jessica; I told her she could either help me find you or spend the rest of her life being hounded by a concerned father,” he smiled and Natalie gently pecked his cheek.

Arthur stood and stepped in front of Blake to examine the man his daughter ran off to be with more closely. “You’ve caused quite a stir in my life.”


“Sir I…”

“I wasn’t finished. My daughter’s not known for making rash decisions and she’s never once done anything I would consider risky except when it came to you. From what I understand from Jessica, you’re the reason she snuck around, skipped practice, slipped her bodyguard’s watch and spoke out to her mother.” Arthur looked over his shoulder at his daughter who squirmed a little under his scrutiny. “Any parent would be concerned given that information and even more than that the fact that you’re an artist and very few actually make a decent living from that. But considering that I have some of your work hanging in my office already tells me you’re well ahead of the curb in that respect.”

“Natalie also told me that you’re responsible for saving her from Brody after she was taken,” he extended his hand and was met with Blake’s strong grip. “Thank you. Thank you for doing for her what I was incapable of myself. I’m going to spare you the ‘hurt my daughter and I’ll put you in the ground speech’ since I think we’re well past that. I will say however that she’s chosen you because she sees something in you I hope to understand myself one day. Take care of her Blake.”

“I will, absolutely Sir.” 


He took a seat on the sofa beside his daughter and Blake moved to the wall away from the pair. “How are you Baby?”

“I’m good Dad. I enrolled for night classes at the college for my writing. I have an A so far this semester.”

“That’s terrific sweetheart! You stick with it and I know I’ll see your name top the Bestsellers list in no time. And what about Riley? I read in the paper what happened to him; being found out there in the mountains. His car covered in blood, his body mauled by some wild animal.”

“Yeah. I know. I saw it.” Natalie replied, looking up slightly at Blake. “I sent my condolences to his parents and flowers but I couldn’t go to the funeral. It was too much.”

“I understand. You two had a relationship, that’s a really tough thing to deal with. What was he even doing out there?”

“Who knows? It was…tragic. But what about you? How have you been? How are things at work? How’s Mom?”


“Work is good like always. Nothing really new there except the fact that I’m grooming Chad Marwick as my second. Your mother and I are going through what she calls a ‘trial separation’. She’s on one side of the house and I’m on the other.”

“Dad?”

“Yes sweetheart?”

“I know I’m well over the age of 18 and custody wouldn’t be an issue in a divorce but, you know I’d come live with you right? Mom scares me.”

“She scares me too sometimes.”

“So why not get a divorce?”

“Your mother would never leave me Natalie. Thirty-two years ago my mother made her sign a pre-nup,” he laughed and looked up towards Blake. “Anyway, I just wanted to check up on you and make sure you were fine. If you need anything, anything at all Honey please give me a call.”

“I will Daddy,” she smiled and led him towards the door.


Again Arthur’s attention fell on the wolf as he followed Natalie and he smiled. “It was good to meet you.”

“You too Sir,” Blake shook his hand as Natalie opened the door for him.

Arthur turned to exit the home, giving Natalie one last hug. “Oh and one other thing Blake, hurt my daughter and I’ll put you in the ground.”

“Yes Sir.”

“Ready?” Blake asked, grabbing his bag before moving to the door.


“I’m ready, are you?” Blake sighed as he thought about today and what to expect. He was heading to a place he hadn’t seen in four years and the thought of seeing his mom, knowing how she’d mourned him scared him more than words could say. He didn’t know how she would react and he feared more than anything what the shock would do to her. And that wasn’t the only thing that worried him.

After 25 years of hiding Angelo was coming home. Today was the day his family would be whole again. The moment had come, one he’d dreamt about his entire life and he wasn’t sure if he was truly ready or not. Simply shaking his head in response, Blake took Natalie’s hand and the two started out the door.


“It’s ok Blake, go ahead.”

For what seemed like the better part of ten minutes they stood outside the front door of his Mom’s house. The smell of fresh baked apple pie hung thick in the air surrounding the door and Natalie wrapped her arm around Blake’s to get him to move. “I guess it’s now or never.” 


He blew out a heavy breath and slowly moved towards the doorbell. When it opened, a woman in her mid-fifties greeted them with a quaint smile that instantly warmed the cold chills running up Blake’s arm. “Hello, may I help…?”

The woman stopped midsentence as she recognized the man standing at her front door and gasped in disbelief, falling back against the threshold. “Mom.”

“Blake? No, it can’t be.” Her wooden spoon dropped out of her hand and landed beside her foot with a clank.


“It is it’s me Mom.”

“Blake,” timidly she reached up to touch his face, noticing the scars that ravaged most of his right cheek.  Though his hair was a little longer than she remembered and his voice a bit gruffer, his eyes had never changed. “Blake?”

“Yes Mom,” Blake choked back his tears as he watched her eyes start to water. “It’s me.”

“Oh my…my Blake! My boy’s alive!” The woman threw herself against him and his arms closed around her, hugging her tightly against his chest as she sobbed. “Blake! Oh God Blake!” she blubbered, wetting his shoulder more as her wailing grew out of control.


She pulled back, locking her hands on his cheeks again to take in his face with a smile and this time it was Blake who gripped her for another hug, finally feeling at home as he once again experienced his mother’s warm embrace. “What happened to you?”

“I’ll explain everything I promise but first I want to introduce you to someone.” Natalie stepped closer and Blake’s Mom vaguely wiped away her tears as the two exchanged pleasantries. “And we’re having a baby.”

“I’m gonna be a grandmother? Oh my god!” Natalie laughed at the woman’s excitement as she too became smothered by hugs and kisses from his emotional mother.  “And you’re a pretty one too! My boy’s done well for himself!”


“Jewel,” Angelo’s voice cracked behind Natalie and Jewel’s eyes opened as she looked up into the face of her husband; a man she had not seen in over 25 years.

“Dear God in Heaven. Angelo?”

“Hello Jewel.”

“Angelo!” He extended his arms for a hug and she easily slid into them, wrapping herself around him, listening to his heartbeat. Looking up at him she felt his lips close around hers as he gave her a soft yet passionate kiss. Angelo tried to pull away to speak but Jewel silenced his apologies and kissed him harder, falling against his chest as she moaned into his lips. 


When they pulled apart, she slapped her hand against his cheek hard, causing him to grunt. “Ow! What was that for?”

“Seriously?” she squealed and watched a smile tug the corner of Angelo’s mouth. “I know what you are.”

Both Angelo and Blake’s faces dropped as Jewel looked between them both. “What do you mean?” Angelo asked and watched her fidget with her hands a moment. “Jewel?”

“After you left that night I was so scared. But more than anything I was mad. I stayed angry at you for so long. It wasn’t until I got your first letter that I started to forgive. It made me go back to the day Blake was born. His eyes scared the hospital staff something fierce; they didn’t want to touch him. Too afraid the ‘demon baby’ could do them harm. Needless to say we didn’t stay there for long. I gave them false information and hurried home.”

“Growing up Blake exhibited really strange physical abilities that kids at his age shouldn’t have. He was walking by the time he was four months, talking by six and climbing cabinets and running before doctors said his spine should be strong enough. At night, usually around a full moon his eyes shimmered almost glowing. I had no clue what was happening to my baby so I did some research and every source said ‘werewolf’. Crazy right? But thinking back to the night you left and the blood and hair I found in the bathroom it all started to make sense and I realized that was the reason you’d left.”


“Jewel, why didn’t you say anything in your letters to me?”

“Speak for yourself! I wasn’t the only one keeping secrets now was I, Angelo Dimitri Foster!”

“I did what I did to keep you safe Jewel, you and Blake. I sacrificed my happiness to keep you alive.”

“You sacrificed mine too Angelo! But that’s what love is! Giving up a part of yourself to be with the person you love. For me that person is you! This animal is a part of who you are and I accept that about you. I’m willing to share in this with you if it means we can be together.” She smiled, delicately caressing his face as she spoke. “And if you ever think about leaving in the middle of the night like that again, full moons will be the least of your problems!”

Angelo laughed, pulling her closer to him, smelling the familiar apricot scent of her skin. “I promise I’ll never leave your side again.”

“Good!” Jewel grinned, wiping at the tears in her eyes once more. “Boy I swear if this day gets any better I’m gonna have a heart attack! Well come in, come in! We have so much catching up to do!”


“Blake stop that!” Natalie shrieked as Blake tickled her neck with his lips. “Blake! I’m trying to write!”

“I know I can see that. Why do you think I’ve been trying to get you to stop?”

Natalie dropped her book to her side and snuggled deeper against his chest as he kissed the side of her head, warmly embracing his fiancée. A cool, crisp breeze whipped across the couple tousling the bounce in Natalie’s curls that Blake couldn’t resist tickling the side of her face with before tucking behind her ear. He stole a quick kiss and she nuzzled herself deeper against him just listening to the sound of his heart beat. “How far can you smell?”


“Well that’s kind of weird and offbeat,” he laughed in her ear and she smiled to herself as he took in a breath.

“Well I’m curious. Humor me.”

“Mmm well I haven’t really tested it to any specific degree but standing at First Avenue I can smell when the Florences put out fresh doughnuts at the Muffin Top Bakery on Eighth.”

“You think Desmond will have the same gene as you and Angelo?”

“Desmond?”

“I’m trying it out,” she blushed as he laughed in her ear.


“Uh well I think Desmond has as much chance of getting it as I did. It’s not a recessive gene by far. And after hearing Mom describe the way I appeared when I was born, I think we should air on the side of caution and avoid hospitals when the day comes.”

“My thoughts exactly.”

“It’s almost two; we’re meeting Nick and Jessica for lunch soon.” Blake pulled up from the ground and paced a few feet in front of Natalie and she took the moment to go back to her writing as he stretched his legs, glancing up at him every now and again.


One day you meet a man whose kisses take your breath away. Air becomes trivial and you realize you can survive without it as long as he’s there. Around him you find yourself constantly falling unafraid of ever hitting the ground because you know he’ll be there to catch you. I found him in the oddest of places and from the moment he appeared in my life I knew he was someone who would have a huge impact on me.


Regardless of the looks we get, he’s not the monster many think him to be and I am not afraid of what he becomes beneath the light of a full moon. I know who Blake Foster is. He’s not defined by his talent as an artist nor the roar in his bark when he becomes more than human. He is the man who was capable of seeing me when the world made me feel invisible. He was the man who showed me that I could be more than my last name and more than my outer beauty. He is my friend, my lover and the father of my baby. He is my air, my sunshine and my smile. He is my freedom, my happiness, my heart. He is my life.


Blake Foster gave me the courage to be myself. He showed me that I had the power to walk into the jungle, put my hand into the mouth of the most savage of beasts and instead of being mauled, it licked me and purred. He gave me a lust for life simply by being himself and I am eternally grateful.

“You coming?” Natalie looked up and found Blake grinning that delicious smirk of his as he twirled a rose between his fingers waiting for her.

“Just one sec!” she replied with a smile of her own, returning to her writing.


And it keeps getting better…

-NS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Author's note: I'd like to say thank you to my readers for following along with this tale. I know there may have been times that were utterly frustrating (Riley being the cause of most) but we made it! Blake ended the threat against his family, Natalie got to show Blake how much she cared, Angelo was reunited with the love of his life, Arthur got to see his daughter and make sure she was ok, Jewel is getting her long awaited grandchild and Estelle is getting what's coming to her. In the end the majority of the characters live happily ever after. It was fun and I truly appreciate your comments and constant support, it really made the story worthwhile!*

Concluding today on Beauty's 1st year Anniversary as a special treat, check out the Photo Album for the "aftermath" of Blake and Natalie's union!

- Daijah

29 comments:

  1. that was sneaky you had me believing you killed him but this was the perfect ending. it's spooky how joseph looks identical to blake with that hair. desmond looks like his mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Borrowing a line from Bugs Bunny: Ain't I a stinker? :P Sorry but it was more fun that way. It was better to have a "Beauty & the Beast" ending than a "Phantom" one after all. Yes! When I saw Joseph I thought "wow...did Natalie play a role in making this one or not?" He has every bit of Blake in him and Desmond is every inch of Natalie.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Why you sneaky meanie pants...you had me going there. But WOOT!!!! Blake lives and he's looking as good as ever. Baby on the way, a wedding to plan, she even made up with her daddy!

    This was the perfect happy ending to a wonderful story! I love that everyone (mostly) got their happy ending, even Blake's mom. It was like Christmas to her and Nick no longer has the pressure of giving her grandkids hahaha :)

    Excellent story DJ. I loved it from start to finish, even when I was ranting in between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. /bow why thank you! I know I lied a little...maybe a lot. But the way you were yelling at me. /shrug. Had to be done :D Everything came together in the end. You think maybe Estelle was invited to her only daughter's wedding? Hmm...food for thought.

      Let's say everyone who deserved one got a happy ending! And Jewel was about ready to die having both her men back in her life! LOL! Yeah because Nick was SOOOO ready for that one! She would have never gotten a grandchild leaving it up to him!

      Haha I could tell! That's what made it fun!

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  3. Awwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!! Yay! Happily ever after!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! The Beauty and her Beast! Now can't wait for the two boys to have their first transition O.o

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  4. Finally the right ending. And what Jazen said I couldn't have said it better myself. You are of the hit list DJ :)

    Loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha the right ending lol well thank you! I'm glad everyone is getting their happy ending! Thanks so much Lucky! I'm glad it kept you going even if you were yelling at me haha!

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  5. Oh, you big ol' creep! I can't believe you toyed with our emotion like that!

    Sigh. I do so love a happy ending. And they made some beautiful babies!

    Wonderful story, Deej! Thank you for writing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I know :( I was bad! I did a lot of plotting and manipulating but I think that made the ending even more welcomed right? :D

      Haha yes! Happy endings are better! Although I still don't hate the idea of a tragedy. This was better for both Natalie and Blake after all they sacrificed throughout the story!

      Thank you Karri :) I truly appreciate that!

      Delete
  6. I. Cried.
    No, really! :O
    Sobbed like a baby. It was Blakes mother... I can't imagine losing your husband then your son, and then them both showing up on the same day with a grandchild on the way!! Going from nothing to everything in a flash.

    And that ending was beautiful. I am so jealous. How can you write romance as well as you do horror? Ugh.

    Thank you for writing this! It's been an adventure, and a lot of fun (and yes, Riley was very frustrating and you should have killed him off sooner). I'm so glad Blake survived and took off the mask. He's free to be himself now (even if he does need to stay indoors a few nights a month) and that's one of the best prizes of all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! What did I tell you about that? :( *hugs*

      Jewel's life really did change and it was a change she was not expecting to happen. Blake she had no doubts was dead but she knew Angelo was out there somewhere. And having them both come back together was just overwhelming! She has a rich life ahead of her and I can only imagine how much she dotes on her new grandbabies!

      This was honestly my first real take on romance so I'm just as shocked as you trust me lol! I'm very happy to hear how much you enjoyed it though and thank you so much for that! Maybe I missed my calling :P

      Haha but if Riley died sooner who would have been there to give Natalie a hard time? Lots of ideas and plot points were lost in the making of the story but in the end it turned out great. Blake no longer needs to hide himself. He has a family who loves him and kids who idolize him and a wife who just adores him. He has everything he could ever need now.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  7. i forgot two ask to things. if blake is alive why is there a gravestone and can you please tell me where you got desmond hair. i been looking all over the place for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gravestone is from four years ago when Blake was declared dead after the night of his attack. Remember Nick said they'd buried a coffin with items they cherished of him. And the hair is originally by Raon but I have the Sjoko retexture here: http://sjokosims.tumblr.com/post/63507616459/raon-33-all-ages-custom-thumb-reis she has a LOT of great retextures! (Don't blame me if you go on a downloading spree) You've been warned! :)

      Delete
  8. You little stinker...I was prepared to cry when reading this but no I was confused then shocked to learn that Blake was still alive. I am so excited they are having a child together and that Blake's family got the chance to be together again. I wonder if Natalie will ever publish her personal memoirs of what happened. Great ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee /bow thank you, *blows kisses* I'm glad you didn't cry. It would have been very tragic had Blake really not survived. I don't know if I could have really done that but I had contemplated it a few times. It was a really great moment getting to reunite Jewel with her family. Though Angelo had kept in contact with his letters it wasn't the same as having him in her arms. A fact that he plans on making up big time!

      Ah! Yes glad you mentioned that! I was trying to get shots of her at a book signing and Blake at a museum unveiling his latest piece but the save stopped cooperating unfortunately. It was gonna be at the end of the photo album. But rest assured they both went on to lead very successful lives in their chosen professions :)

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  9. *claps wildly* Got my happy ending ... woot! :D

    When I saw Blake, I literally gasped. (I love that haircut on him, BTW.) So, wait a minute. How did Blake end up alive after the fight with Dante because I thought he was not only merely dead, but really most sincerely dead. (Sorry, couldn't resist quoting the Wizard.) Did I miss something? o.O NOT that I'm complaining, that's for sure. LOL. I'm happy as a clam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Blake did too haha (and then some!) I don't think he expected to be a daddy so soon but coming home after a three day respite to an "amorous" Natalie proved more than he could handle.

      It shows more of his face and is less wild man. It suits him now that he's learned to control himself and is settling into a comfortable life with his Natalie. Haha, that's funny :P It was Natalie's blood. Slower reaction since the full moon was gone but she administered her true love's sacrifice in time to save his life. Guess she gave him just enough after all! Ah so you're NOT saying I should go back and kill Blake again? :P ok, just wanted to be clear!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  10. I love happy endings! Life doesn't give us enough of them, so I like to read and write them.
    I could hardly believe it when I first saw Blake standing there. For a second, I feared that somehow he'd passed the curse onto Riley, that Riley was back and harassing Natalie. Haha! Nope, that jackass is dead. D. E. D. dead.
    Will never leave him because of a pre-nup! Oh, I love it. So I wonder if that means Arthur's not going to divorce her. Love does funny things, and I think somewhere in there he loves her. She just needs some time to get her ass straightened out. I have faith. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty true! I never look at it that way though. I like the badness in stories haha. But Natalie and Blake deserved theirs for sure! Nope Blake is home and waiting for his fiancée to come and give him a reason to smile! Riley though is most certainly dead and buried and never coming back again!

      Arthur loves his wife even though she's a handful and wouldn't consider a divorce. But yep, Estelle is definitely not considering a divorce because she'd be left with nothing! She does need to work through her shit for sure though and I think this "trial separation" might hopefully help her. She needs to go back to that sweet, raven-haired beauty he married. Maybe the blonde dye is leaking on her brain or something :P

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  11. Why you little... ::shakes fist:: And to think, I put off reading this because I thought it was a sad ending! lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee! I admit it was a little cruel. But oh so fun! :D Sorry about that! But I'm glad it all worked out in the end.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  12. I need to go on that trip, wow.
    Very nice that her Dad came along.
    It is sad that Jewel is old and Angelo is not. Their reunion will not be long enough.
    Great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Sounds like the perfect honeymoon/vacation. A full tour of Europe would be awesome! It was great that Arthur came and gave Natalie and Blake his blessing. It's not something they would have expected from Estelle but Arthur has always only wanted his daughter's happiness. It's sad they had so much wasted time, but they won't let another moment go by. They have a lot to make up for :)

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  13. Nice story. You captured the scenes richly and delivered a clean job on the story.

    Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My one concern is always with pictures because I am not very good with photo editing software but I am very happy to hear that they still convey what I wanted them to! The story was a lot of fun and I'm glad that you enjoyed it!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  14. Wow! I've read it at once - from the beginning till the end. It's stunningg! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am very glad to hear you enjoyed the story.

      Thank you so much for reading :)

      Delete
  15. Hello again! :)
    I've nominated your wonderful story for Spirit Animal Award.
    https://chealsycat.wordpress.com/category/awards/

    ReplyDelete