Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Chapter 07: Who Are You?


Natalie began to stir drawing Blake’s attention from his reading. He watched as her hand found the bump on her forehead and rubbed across it with a low hiss. The light from the candle beside him illuminated her body enough making her appear to glow with honey undertones. She’d kicked the covers from her body again but this time he stayed where he was watching her awaken rather than place them on her nude form once more.

She moaned and sat up, her hand still on her head as the pounding intensified between her ears. “Hey,” Blake whispered as her eyes fluttered open and adjusted to the light. “How are you feeling?”


“I…um…”

“You hit your head pretty hard and I did what I could for the scratch on your arm.”

Natalie looked down at his beckoning and noticed the white bandage wrapped around her upper arm. She reached out to touch it and recoiled in pain. “What happened?”

“You sprung one of the wires in the main tunnel and passed out. I pulled you out of the sewers and brought you here.”


“Here? Where’s here?” She asked and threw her legs over the side of the bed. Feeling the cool air nip her skin, she gasped and jumped back into the bed quickly throwing the blanket over herself again. “Where are my clothes?”

Blake stood from his chair and placed his book on the table beside him as he moved a little closer to where she sat. “Uh when you fell you landed in the sewer. I removed them to wash for you they’re drying now.”


“My bra and panties too?!” she asked, the same tone of annoyance still dripping from her words.

“Yes I…I didn’t think you’d want to sit in the um…smell so I uh…I didn’t look and I didn’t touch you ok? I just…I’m sorry.”

“You don’t have a shirt or something?”

“Well I don’t have much and what I do have I doubt it would um…I’ll go and check on your things,” Blake replied and quickly exited the room.


Natalie watched as he hurried down the stairs and waited until he was out of sight before taking in her surroundings. It was a small cement alcove hidden behind a metal door, probably used as an old storage area in the Academy’s earlier days. Dozens of books were lined up against the wall and falling off of the modest table in the corner that was most likely his desk.

One candle illuminated the entire room in a light orange hue that caused eerie shadows to lurk in the barely brightened areas. Natalie drew the covers deeper around her neck and waited patiently for Blake to return with her belongings. The stairs alerted her with a creak and he placed her neatly folded clothing on the edge of the mattress and quickly exited again so she could dress. 


Natalie stepped out of the room and started into a larger area that she determined served as a living room, kitchen and dining room. Small pieces of art covered the walls and floor as well as a myriad of photography and painting equipment. She picked up a small frame beside her and analyzed the black and white photograph as Blake watched her closely.


“Um, hey,” he smiled nervously behind his mask as she sat the picture back in place.

“Hey.” She moved slowly into the center of the room bathing herself even more in the lamp and candle lights that illuminated the area.

“I was making some drinks.” A kettle whistled on the stove behind him and Blake moved towards it pulling it from the burner. He transferred the contents to two small cups and looked over his shoulder towards Natalie as she continued exploring the items around the room. Placing the tray on a small rickety table in the center of the room he waited for her to look his way and motioned towards the tea. “It’s probably not the best or um…what you’re used to but it’s all I have.”


She took a seat at the table across from him and babied the herbal liquid in her cup with the spoon he sat in front of her. “So um...w-what is this place?”

“It’s an abandoned power unit. The city has a few of them beneath the streets. It’s where they used to monitor communication towers and utility plants.”

“Oh and you’ve what? Reclaimed them for yourself?” Blake ignored the question as Natalie inhaled the scent of the Earl Grey sitting in front of her. Mindlessly she stared into its dark depths looking for nothing in particular but avoiding his gaze at the same time.


He looked at her cup noticing she was only swirling its contents around, not drinking it, and cleared his throat to gain her attention. “Is there something wrong with the tea? Is it too hot?”

“Oh no, I’m sure it’s fine it’s just that…my Mom would kill me if she found out I strayed from her nutritional plan. ‘Ballerinas must maintain a healthy weight to stay light on their toes’ or so I’m constantly reminded. I can’t have many sugars because that causes weight gain and…my Mom is pretty strict,” she stopped herself before delving too far into her family’s personal business.


“Sounds stifling. You’re a college aged woman, why put up with it?”

“It’s all I’ve ever known really. My Mom can’t have more kids because I ‘broke her’ when I was born so it’s always been just me and she treats me like her pet project or something. Always grooming me and prepping me for some big future as a dancer she thinks I have. I’d much rather be a writer.”

“Why not just tell her no then?”


“You haven’t met my Mother.” The pounding in her head was reducing but she felt her arm throb and looked at it again. “You booby trapped this place,” she scowled running her hand over the bandage that was beginning to soak in her blood once more. “Why would you do that?”

“To keep out unwanted visitors!” he growled in return. Natalie shrunk in fright and he moved towards the sink to grab a wet rag. He placed the compress against her arm and she winced in pain as he began swabbing the area, cleaning off the blood. “I can redo these if you want.”


“No it’s ok, I’ll be fine.” She sighed and rubbed her hand over the bandage again. An odd jingling sound vibrated against the countertop behind him and Natalie gasped noticing her cell phone sitting beside the sink.

“It kinda got doused. I sat it beneath my heater to try and dry it out but…”


She gasped again noticing seven missed calls from her mother and turned to leave. “I need to go. My Mom is going nuts looking for me. I have a schedule to keep and if I’m late.”

Blake nodded his head as he listened to her and felt a bit of sadness hearing her say she had to leave. “I understand, of course.”

“Do I have to go back through the tunnels or is there another way out?” she asked looking over the large furniture realizing he had to get it in here somehow.



“The stairs,” he pointed towards the metal case behind him. “It leads to the old water factory on Cassat.” He continued watching her, amazed at how close she allowed him to stand without screaming and running in the other direction. He had noticed that her eyes danced over the visible scars above his eye but she never once questioned how it happened. It made him smile knowing she didn’t want to make him uncomfortable by inquiring but he knew her curiosity was piqued, it was the only logical reason she would follow him down here.


Natalie rubbed her hand on the back of her head and started towards a set of metal doors. “Is the bathroom this way?”

“No it’s behind the panel in the bedroom you were in.”

“What’s back there more booby traps?”

“Nothing. It’s just a storage closet.”

“Then why is there a large ‘keep out’ sign posted on it?” she asked reaching her hand forward to open the door.

“DON’T!” he roared causing the metal walls to reverberate the sound and echo around them as he moved in front of her. Natalie took a step back placing a frightened hand over her heart. A look of fright washed over her face and Blake quietly rubbed a hand through his hair as he watched her for the third time recoil in fear.


He slowly licked his tongue over his bottom lip drawing it between his teeth as he watched her. He hated seeing that look on her face but most of all he hated being the reason it was there in the first place. “Just, don’t go in there ok?” he spoke calmly hoping to settle the anxiety he felt rolling off her in spades.


Natalie nodded and turned towards the wooden panel. Entering the bathroom, she checked her appearance hoping to fix herself before heading home so as not to scare her parents and started back out to his living room. Blake inhaled a deep breath as she stepped towards the metal staircase and started up. He followed behind her and unlocked the large door leading out to the factory. With one look back in his direction, Natalie started for home thinking about what excuse she would give her mother for her tardiness and the injury on her arm.

Continue ---->

12 comments:

  1. I think she handled that well because if I woke up naked in a strange place with some masked man staring at me I would have screamed my head off. LOL

    Now granted she did follow him down there because she's crazy like those chicks in horror movies. :P but still being completely naked like that, yeah she handled that well.

    Poor Blake she has infiltrated his home now not only will her face plague him but her scent will be everywhere. Poor guy. hahaha at first it didn't dawn on me what he was hiding but its the dark room. He can't let her know he's been all stalker like.

    Mom is gonna be pissed :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did haha she was very calm given the circumstances but like you said she went there without so much as her bodyguard knowing absolutely nothing about him. He could very well have set a trap in there to knock her out as a ploy to get her naked and in his bed...oh wait...but you know what I mean :P That was very "horror" movie of her though lol!

      Blake was already fighting with the demons of seeing her and just hearing her name whisper in his mind. Now he has her in his bed, her scent is EVERYWHERE not to mention he got to touch her, though not like that he said. But still there was SOME touching considering he had to disrobe her somehow! Yeah...he's in for a worse time now. Yep :P he can't let her go poking around his room of infinite "Natalie" pictures!

      Haha Mom is already pissed. But you're right. Natalie has to come up with a good reason to keep her freedoms...or lack there of.

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. Whoa--was my first thought. Now why'd he take her clothes off? Creepy! (was my second thought). Oh. well. yeah I guess if she fell in the sewer...man.

    What is Blake thinking right now? How did her being there affect him? Does he realize that she was curious enough to come the first time, she'll be dropping by again? She, who he could not keep himself from, will be intruding into his little sphere, and maybe that's just what he needs. I'm thinking he better hide all his pictures of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL he had an excuse right? :P She was kinda swimming in that water when he found her passed out. He thought she'd like a nice, warm sponge bath. I'm sure he was a HUGE gentleman about it all!

      Those are very good questions! Here he was trying to stop thinking about her and seeing her whenever his eyes shut and BOOM she lands right in his lap basically and only upset the plans he had to wash himself of her presence. Poor guy. The idea of her wanting to know more about him might make him happy but then he has to think about his reasons for being down there in the first place. He wouldn't want anyone, especially someone in the public eye as Natalie, learning about him and exposing him to people again!

      She won't be able to stop herself you're right. As curious as she was to go down there in the first place, nothing will stop her from making a return trip. It is time for a little spring cleaning Blake my dear :P

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
    2. But will it really make him happy that she wants to know more about him? At this point, he may only be an odd curiosity, rather than a personal interest to him. (Although I'm assuming that will change at some point). I bet we see a lot of journal writing in the next chapter :D

      Delete
    3. In a way he's pleased she's taking interest. Lord knows he's fantasized about her enough. To think or even imagine that his object of affection may be returning his curiosity would make his wet dreams wetter. But at this point he's also going to have to be even more careful. The more she gets sucked into his world and his life the harder it'll be to resist her and he hasn't had to prove himself against people since being turned 4 yrs ago. It could be VERY dangerous for her! Haha we definitely will (from both parties).

      Delete
  3. mkay, If *I* woke up in some strange-dude-that-I-followed-into-a-hole-in-the-ground's underground lair and found myself naked, I'd started screaming my head off. I'd surely realize I was naked right off the bat. So, wake up, realize I'm naked, scream, freak out, try to beat the shit out of my 'abductor', n then improvise. I guess Natalie isn't me, huh? LOL.
    At least he had the decency to look bashful that he'd taken her clothes off.
    I don't believe for a second that he didn't look his fill. He's a guy after all, and she's beautiful. Oh, I'm not saying he leered at her like a pervert, just a look of admiration kind of thing. Still, if he'd let on to her that he did, then that would've made her more uncomfortable.

    Oh holy hell, I'd hate to think of her reaction to his studio-full-of-her. He'd have a hard time explaining that he's an admirer and not some crazy stalker guy. And what do photographers do when they find something they admire? Take billions of pictures.

    She wouldn't even drink the effing tea? OMG woman, so you get 8mg of carbohydrates from the sugar or whatnot. It won't kill you and then maybe you'd have the energy to stand up to your mother.
    That's saying that she'd drink the tea anyway. Strange dude + waking up naked + he made you a drink (might) = drugged drink.

    I don't mean to be so snippy, I don't know what's come over me. I really love these characters, honest! :D
    I guess she was just in a state of shock and she figured that if he was gonna do anything, he'd have done it while she was out. Unless he just simply prefers his women sentient.
    idk, blame Seth LMBO!

    I loved the whole 'the phantom has Christine in his underground lair' thing. /sigh. :) Not saying that that's necessarily what you were going for, but I thought it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha you and me both! Natalie is something of a different creature it would seem. Sheltered by her parents it's a wonder how she's even as fruitful in the whole face of society as she is. But she sees him differently and though she was startled, she doesn't get scared around him (which might help her in the long run). She's more intrigued and curious about why he's down there and how she's never seen him even though she thinks of herself as 'normal' and not all uptight. But your reaction is pretty much what I'd do too lol!

      Ah yes, that's Disrobing 101: How to fake modesty. LOL He was trying to make her comfortable seeing as how like you said she wasn't screaming her head off. He just wanted to reassure her that he wasn't about to harm her in any way. I'm sure his eyes did some wandering regardless of what he says. Hopefully that's all that happened though. As much as he'd been plagued by her face and scent, having her passed out in his arms is a thought that I don't think she wanted to even entertain.

      LOL now THAT would have gotten that "scream-my-head-off-find-something-to-attack-with" reaction you mentioned earlier. Because then she'd think she was with a certified pervert and sadly I think he's obsession started to turn that corner and that's why he tried to get away from her. But thanks to her curiosity, he's not going to be able to do that any time soon! That room is like a shrine for sure though. Not only the pictures he took but those he's drawn as well. Yikes!

      Hahaha she needs that ounce of courage to stand up to her Mom, that's for sure. Her head is so twisted with "yes ma'am" and "on time ma'am" that she can't even try and do something outside of the box her Mom has her locked in. It's sad really but Blake might be just what she needs to open the door to freedom! She's already taken her first step after all. And haha yes he might have even drugged it! I didn't see HIM drinking O.o

      Snippy? Ha! Not at all! I love your comment, it's making me giggle as I respond :P it's all very reasonable stuff! Very true! She was lying helpless for who knows how long and it's not like she woke up with a pained feeling between her legs. So I guess coupled with the fact that he'd just recently saved her from an attacker she felt safe enough not to yell "Rape!" and hit him with a lamp! Yes, that's definitely more Seth than anything!

      Twas actually! I think there are but three influences of Phantom in the story sadly, I couldn't really think of more to incorporate. The artistic and shunned beast living beneath the streets in love with an equally as talented beauty whom he can't escape. Only less "kidnapping you're my prisoner" and more "I'm your prisoner please free me". That aspect I think is more of the Beauty and the Beast thing :)

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
    2. Mhm, it'll definitely help in the long run. :)

      LOL disrobing 101! I love it! Oh, to me, it's a given that he did. Maybe he did and mentally chastised himself, but he still did.

      I'd forgotten/not known that he'd Drawn pictures of her! Maybe my brain just bypassed that completely because I got distracted by the pictures hanging. Or something. You know, in a way... that really effing hot. I guess it's only hot if the guy is hot, and I know he's hot under all that exterior. That, or I'm nuts. Probably both. At least the nuts part.

      No, uh uh he wasn't drinking it was he? Mhm, I half-noticed that too.
      They're each others door to freedom. *does little hopeless romantic animation*

      Okay, good. Some people don't get my tone of 'voice' and take offense. Most of the time I have a humorously sarcastic undertone unless I go all girly and mushy and stuff. You'll know if I'm pissed.

      Still, I think there's enough Phantom stuff here to mentally correlate the two. I love this story. I keep meaning to start back up on A.M., but my tablet hates loading loads of pictures and I get distracted so easily. <:D

      Delete
    3. Oh absolutely he did! All guys do no matter what they say. It's innate! I'm sure he did some self flagellation later on though for it. Although when the sheet fell away as she was waking up he didn't bother to move. Nope. He sat and stared (and there was probably a tad bit of drooling).

      LOL yeah he can't get her out of his head. In moments he's not writing he is doodling/sketching her. Sometimes it's mindlessly being drawn (which is kinda cute). His hand has a mind of its own.I agree though, drawing is hot when and best done by a guy who's hot. (And I think he's hot, I like them to have a certain degree of YUM to be leading men).

      Nope! Not one sip. Maybe he was too focused on Natalie that he didn't want to seem like a pig in front of her or spill on himself? Puppy love :) Yes! They both need each other to find that happiness/freedom. *Joins in dance* I think it'll be fun.

      Lol I saw that too when her Mom was on screen :P the way she scoffed at her daughter's writing. No need to worry about offending me though, that's sorta hard to do.

      Thank you! I'm so happy to hear that! And I'm thrilled the similarities show where needed! Yeah I have a problem with pictures it seems. I have decided to make all of my new stories MUCH, MUCH smaller and less story heavy (although the episode with the ballet for Natalie, Swan Lake, is kinda big but that's only because I wanted to show the story of Swan Lake). But it's the only one. I keep the chapters at best at 4 pages and few shots needed :D

      Delete
  4. Very scary for Natalie to wake up naked with a masked guy in the room, in a strange bed... She saw some of the paintings and photos. I wonder if they will trigger any memory of the ones that she saw on the outside.

    Loved it, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie was startled at first but when she realized Blake was helping her it helped put her at ease. They certainly will! She'll find a real friend in Blake she's never known before!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete