Thursday, April 18, 2013

Chapter 10: It Was You


“…And the company responsible for the merger between the Cresting Heights Communications center TyCom Metro and our fiber optics systems Optix, class? Natalie?” Professor Lassiter asked noticing her attention was again outside the window. “Natalie?”


“Hmm?” she turned to find the entire classroom staring at her and offered a stiff smile before directing her gaze to the opened textbook on the table in front of her.

“Well I would think you’d know a merger done by your father’s company over anyone else in the classroom. Then again it helps to pay attention to the lesson at hand as well.” The room filled with laughter at the Professor’s snide remark and the clock tower struck the top of the hour. “That’s it for now. I’ll see you all on Thursday.”

Natalie gathered up her belongings and started for the hallway. Stopping in front of her locker she dropped her books to the floor and popped in the combination as quickly as she could. With a solitary glance down the hall she noticed a familiar face that she’d rather not have to speak to and tried desperately to get away before she reached her.


Finally tossing in the last book, Natalie turned to head out the back doors when she heard her name click off the witch’s tongue with a hint of a smile. She turned to find Alexandria standing behind her with a few people from the Young Politicians club; acting as her backup no doubt. The last time the two were alone together, Natalie couldn’t control herself and her ex-best friend ended up with a busted lip and swollen eye. “I hear you’re sleeping in class again,” she sneered and started for her locker as her friends excused themselves at next bell. “I thought the daydreaming ended for you; then again any reality is better than your current one I suppose.”


“Oh you mean the current one that has you bent over a sink like a common whore in the ladies’ room of Club Liquid? Yes I suppose you’re right Alex. Most people wouldn’t want to associate with someone as amoral and skanky to defile herself like you. Silverman’s have standards and they are a little too high for you to ever reach. But that’s ok, continue to enjoy my sloppy seconds, you’ll always be a step behind me.”


“Natalie,” Alexandria called her again as she turned to leave after having the last word. Alexandria waited until the hall cleared completely before approaching her one time friend. In whispers she began relaying the story of how she found herself in the bathroom with Riley and ended with the accusation that he’d forced himself on her. As she pulled away Natalie could see her cheeks were bright red from embarrassment and her eyes had begun to water from the threatening tears that pushed through her shut eyelids. “I never meant to hurt you,” she sniffled and tried to keep herself composed in the middle of the school. “He told me if I said anything to anyone that he’d…he took pictures of me and the last thing me or my family would want is a scandal.”


“A scandal? Alex if he raped you he should be behind bars! Why would you protect someone like that?”

“Because I have to. He isn’t just threatening me Talie.” The bell rang for the last time and Alexandria jumped in her skin at the sound of it. “I have to go. Promise me you won’t tell anyone what I said.” Natalie nodded but wasn’t sure it was a promise she could keep as she watched Alexandria rush up the hallway towards the ladies’ room to clean herself up.


“NAT! Hey Nat!” she heard as she moved towards the quad. She turned and smiled as Christopher rushed towards her and waited for him to catch up. “Hey!” he grinned deeper as he stopped in front of her. “I was hoping to catch you before you stole away to your gilded prison.”


She laughed and looked behind him at Brody standing beside the Rolls and nodded. “You almost missed me, my warden’s guard is there waiting now.” Christopher glanced over his shoulder at the venerable stance of her bodyguard and pretended as if his presence wasn’t threatening. “What’s up?”

“‘A Day of Tragedy’,” he announced and motioned towards a flyer behind her. “There’s a Shakespearean performance in the Danville Theater later this afternoon and I was hoping that you’d maybe be interested in taking in a show or two with me.”


“That sounds like a lot of fun Chris and Shakespeare is one of my weaknesses.”

“Then why do I feel a ‘but’ coming on?” he frowned and watched the smile in her eyes fade a little beneath his scrutiny.

“But,” she sighed. “I have practice and Mother is going to be in the audience to make sure I’m performing as I should. She’s had a sneaking suspicion that I haven’t been on top of my dancing for some reason.”

“Would that ‘reason’ have anything to do with the fact that you ditch the head of your security every chance you get and hide away from everyone to write?”


“Chris!”

“Don’t worry, I haven’t told a soul,” he beamed remembering how quickly she stashed away her notepad when he caught her after late bell in the library. She’d been working on a story she told him and let him read a little of it. Christopher was the first person she’s ever shared her work with and he’d promised to keep her secret. “I knew at some point your parents would figure out that he wasn’t with you every second of the day as he is supposed to be.”

Natalie laughed again and glanced at Brody who stood more erect beneath her gaze and nodded his head slightly motioning her forward. “Yeah. But luckily for me, he hasn’t told on me yet either. I’m sorry though Chris. While I’d like to go with you my life is unfortunately not my own. Maybe some other time?”


“Yeah sure, maybe.” Christopher sighed and pulled the single rose from behind his back as he watched Natalie head towards her family’s vehicle. Silently he let the stem fall from his hands and moved back towards the athletic department.


“Mrs. Silverman wanted me to inform you that she unfortunately will not be able to attend your practice today. An emergency at the Women’s Club demands her immediate attention but she has asked that I ensure you get to the theater on time for rehearsal.” Brody spoke in a deep tone that did very little to mask his obvious frustrations with Natalie’s continual evasion of his watch. “Is there any place you’d like to go before then Miss?”


Natalie glanced back to where Christopher was and saw he’d already left and with a sigh turned to address her bodyguard. “Now, now Brody, if I actually told you that you’d have a heads up and what fun is that?” Natalie smirked seeing her bodyguard’s stony exterior barely crack at her joke. “Home is a good place I suppose. I’m in the mood for a run.”


Running was truly the only ‘alone’ time Natalie got. She knew Brody wouldn’t go out with her; even riding along behind her in the Rolls wasn’t suitable for his time and no one else in her house jogged. They got back to the manor and Natalie quickly changed into her gear, checked herself in the mirror and started out towards Ackerman Park. She was hoping to catch a glimpse of the man she’s come to know as Blake before starting on her writing.


Turning the corner near the old water plant she noticed the windows and doors appeared even more boarded up than before and there was a new lock on the gate nearest the road. Curiously she started towards the fence and took a look at the steel chain wrapped tightly around the handles of the gate. The deadbolt was recently placed on the chain link and new warning signs had been apparently put up around the property as well. So wrapped up in the new items in front of her, she didn’t hear him come up behind her until he spoke. “This is kind of what I was hoping to avoid.”


Natalie turned to face Blake. His face appeared grim and firm; humorless. “The city saw the recent foot traffic in and out of the gate there and decided to up their security on the premises. In a way I should be grateful. It keeps more people from scurrying beneath the hole that was once in the fence and playing around the upper levels of the building. But I’m also a little angry over the fact that their attention was called here in the first place.” He started towards the sewer grate near the cul-de-sac leaving Natalie standing there and she reached out to stop him.


“I’m sorry Blake. I didn’t mean to draw attention here. I just wanted…”

“You really should learn the difference between wanted and unwanted visitors. I appreciate what you tried to do for me but I don’t need any help, Natalie and you need to stop projecting. Whatever problems you’re having at home or with the people around you, you need to talk to the ones involved instead of running off and ignoring the issues hoping they will go away.”


“Yeah, maybe you’re right. It’s just much easier said than done.” Natalie ran towards the end of the block but didn’t get far before feeling Blake’s hand on her wrist. He cussed himself again under his breath as he found himself doing something he kept telling himself he shouldn’t do.

Inviting her inside, Blake used more caution looking around as he secreted her through another hidden doorway on the water factory property. It stood to reason these mixed signals he constantly sent her were the reasons she continued coming around. But as much as he wanted her to stay away where it was safe he could never breathe free of her; not anymore. Yelling at her and warning her to keep her distance only angered his wolf and made him meaner. He wanted to punish Blake for sending her away and often times Blake found himself losing control because of the restless beast within him.


Natalie turned off her iPod and settled into the cushions of his sofa and took a long look around the living space. It had been over a week since last she was inside his place but nothing much had changed save the new pieces of art sitting on the floor or hanging on the walls beside her. The series of shots beside her held her attention and she stared at the imagery in the black and whites closely. 


Taking a step closer, she gasped as she remembered the magazine spread in her father’s office a few weeks ago and glanced over her shoulder to find her host. Blake, she thought as her father’s words flashed in her mind. Disappeared, believed dead



“What prompted today’s visit?” Blake asked interrupting her train of thought as he pulled the tea kettle from the stove and prepared a tray for the both of them. He hadn’t bothered to turn to look at her, knowing she was analyzing his artwork once again. Something about her interest in his photographs always seemed to make him smile and he didn’t want to stop her from taking notice.


“I don’t know really. I just kind of…I like being here. It’s something I know my parents would hate but I think you and your situation are interesting. Here you are, a talented artist living beneath the streets of the city and no one knows about you. You intrigue me Blake. You’re a free spirit; able to come and go as you please without the pressures of society trying to force you to do something or be someone you don’t want to be. I don’t know what it is to have that kind of freedom and I think I envy you a little. And lately my Mother has been pretty tight on my schedule because she said my attitude needs to be adjusted which she fears is the result of outside influences,” she glanced towards him as he placed a few lemon wedges in a bowl and smiled. “I guess that makes you that outside influence. Plus she’s afraid that I’m off doing things she wouldn’t approve of.”

“If she only knew.” Blake mused and pulled a canister of sugar from the top shelf near the fridge.


“Yeah. She’d probably have me locked in the tallest tower in the farthest palace in all of the land.” She sighed and returned to her seat on the couch.

“Do you not have a bodyguard or something,” Blake asked as he placed a cup of tea on the coffee table for Natalie and took a seat beside her on the floor of his living room. “How are you able to get away like you do?”

“I have my ways,” she smiled wickedly and took a sip of her tea. “My parents like to believe they know my every move and it’s because of that I can slip unnoticed beneath their noses. My Mother thinks I’m having ‘boy trouble’ with my ex Riley. She has no idea that we’re no longer together or the reason behind it.”


“Oh yeah? And what reason would that be?” Natalie visible tensed at the question and Blake could smell her apprehension as nervousness leaked through her pores. “I’m sorry. You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.”

“No it’s ok I guess. I found out that he was a cheating bastard on my birthday; caught him with my best friend.”

“The blonde?”

“Hmm?”

“The blonde I saw you with the night you were attacked.”

“Oh, you mean Jessica, no, it was an old friend of mine named Alexandria. Needless to say we don’t associate with one another any longer.”


“Right,” Blake smiled watching Natalie take another sip of her tea and realized she was growing more comfortable in his home. If he was being honest with himself he’d have to admit that he enjoyed her company. She was pretty funny and obviously brave to continue coming around someone she believed to be mentally unstable. He watched her eyes go to the art again and sighed as he thought up another distraction. “How’s the tea?”

“Delicious. I’ve never tried cream in my Earl Grey before. It’s interesting; that and the hint of lemon. My normal brews are Chai for breakfast and Chamomile for bed.”

“I have a few others I just prefer this brew. I’ll make up Chai for you perhaps the next time you break in,” he grinned brightly as she choked on her next sip. “Tea is a nice civility, something that has been missing for me as of late.” She looked towards him sorrowfully and he swallowed hard hoping to keep her from pitying him, which was the last thing he wanted. Thinking quickly to change the subject he said the first thing that popped into his mind. “Truth or dare?”

Natalie grinned at him with an impish expression and tapped her finger against her lip. “Truth.”

“Tell me a secret; something not even your closest friend knows.”


“Um…ok,” she smiled sheepishly as she stirred the liquid and took one small sip. “I absolutely HATE dancing ballet.”

“What? But you’re so good at it!” She looked up curiously and Blake stuttered a bit as he realized he just admitted to knowing something he shouldn’t. “I-I saw you once, dancing to Swan Lake.”

“Mmm, that’s my favorite show and it used to be the one I enjoyed performing the most. But lately I just, I don’t know. I’ve started feeling so smothered when I dance. It doesn’t have the same luster for me that it once did. My Mother turned it into something else entirely.” She looked at her hands as she twiddled her thumbs and thought about when she first got into dance. Back then it was pure fun and she always felt so beautiful up on that stage in front of the large audiences who had all come out to watch her perform. These days it’s felt like nothing but work; so much so she stopped feeling guilty about shirking her rehearsals to steal time away for herself. 


“Your turn Blake, since we’re discussing ‘secrets’ truth or dare?” She watched him carefully and he could sense her heartbeat rising as if she knew something she was hoping he’d admit to.

“Truth.” He noticed the surprise on her face as he made his choice. She had more than likely assumed he wouldn’t be so open to telling her something about himself. But the alternative seemed worse. Having to play out a dare, which he believed would be accompanying her to her masquerade, was not something he was willing to do.

Natalie thought for a moment as she decided the best way to phrase her question and leaned forward on her elbows as she spoke. “What are you running from?”

He felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up as her question aroused his wolf. He didn’t like the implication or the possibility this girl knew more than he wanted her to. Taking a deep breath he coached a smile on his face and shook his head negatively. “You mean why am I living underground?”

“Ok, cutting the bull I want to ask you something but I don’t want you to feel as if you have to answer or that I am in anyway going to tell your secret or expose you to those you want to hide from but…” she leaned closer to whisper in his ear as if the secret he’s kept for four years could suddenly be heard by everyone topside, moistened her lips with a single swipe of her tongue and exhaled. “Are you Blake Foster, the Blake Foster from Grace magazine?”


He didn’t outwardly answer. In fact he stood and moved away from her as if being in close proximity would somehow confirm her suspicions and dropped his cup into the kitchen sink. “I think it’s best you left now.”

“I knew it, it IS you!” Natalie stood with excitement and a newly pressed smile for him. She followed him into the kitchen but kept enough space between them so he didn’t feel smothered by her presence. 


“My father has some of your artwork hanging in his office. He’s a huge fan and I myself instantly feel in love with your work. It’s beyond compare!”

Moving forward quickly Blake pulled Natalie into his arms, the grip on her arm tightening as he thought about her exposing him. “You can’t tell anyone about me Natalie! It’s too dangerous for anyone to know and too painful a memory for them to rehash,” he growled. “Promise me?”

“I promise,” Natalie replied softly and pulled away.



Looking up at Blake, she smiled and watched him again nervously pacing the area in front of her. If she didn’t know any better she’d think he was shy yet he seemed fully capable of having a conversation and even entertaining intruders. Natalie’s eyes fell on an unfinished painting by her foot and she was again amazed at the artistry in his work. “You do lots of nature scenes I’ve noticed.”

“I like to paint what I find beautiful; having a subject that captivates motivates my hand to continue moving.”

“Do you work commissions?”

“Commissions?”

Natalie chewed on her lip a moment and sighed. “My Dad’s birthday is coming up,” Blake froze hearing her mention her father and she simply nodded with a smile. “He loves your work and I was just wondering if you’d be interested in making something for him; something personal that he’d love like your urban series or…”

“You,” Blake replied and took a small step forward. Her eyes sparkled as she caught his gaze and he thought about spending moments in her company being closer to that face that had driven him to the brink of insanity day in and day out. Having her as his subject almost guaranteed a regular visit until he finished. And if he wanted, he could drag out the process for as long as possible. After all, perfecting the right painting took time. With an inward smirk he extended his hand towards her in a gesture of agreement. “I’ll do it.”

Continue ---->

8 comments:

  1. wow so Alex is claiming rape? Interesting. Not sure if I want to believe her or not. I mean Riley is slimy enough to do something like that, but why would she give Nat such a hard time if that was the case? I don't know what to think on that just yet.

    Nat has another secret admirer. I'm guessing she only sees Chris as a friend and is missing the signs.

    Blake, you are just getting in deep there. She's worming her way into your life in a big way and you you are helpless to stop it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Natalie's thoughts as well. It all seemed rather convenient and like you said, she had teased her a while about it and is now claiming that something more took place...she's not buying it. As mentioned she was curious as to why Alex didn't tell someone if that was the case.

      Yes unfortunately. Chris has always had a crush on her but he's unfortunately never had his feelings returned. Natalie sees him as a brother if anything, brother of her best friend. It could never be more than that for her.

      Haha I don't think he wants to fight it anymore. He's definitely thinking up ways to keep her coming around all the while cussing himself for not letting her leave. Poor Blake. His life is not his own anymore.

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. So Riley raped Alex? Or was that just a ploy to get back in close to Natalie for some reason?

    Bless his heart, he wants to be near her so bad. But her father is going to wonder where the art came from...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Alex's claim although Natalie is not inclined to believe her just yet. While it's not outside the realm of believable knowing what Alex did on top of the fact that she teased her about, points to another reason behind her actions.

      Blake is eager to get to be around Natalie that he actually let that minor detail slip from thought. He would very much want to know where the art came from but if Natalie told him she commissioned an artist in the park it's not likely he'd look deeper than that. After all, he trusts his baby girl!

      Thank you for reading! :)

      Delete
  3. Funny, I guess I'm a gullible because I believed Alex. Only because Riley is such a turdwad.

    K, now to the top:
    That teacher... ugh! I hate teachers like that! Mostly because I'm always daydreaming. Know-it-all sonofa.... :P

    The Alex thing: Like I said, I believed her, but I can understand, definitely, how Natalie doesn't. Also, just because I say I believe her that doesn't mean that I trust her. She's a skank that slept with her best friend's guy. Low.

    Poor, poor Chris. It's a hopeless case apparently. That whole hiding the rose behind his back... *girlie squeal* My heart just melted for him. Who's brother is he? Did I miss something? (again)

    Okay, now onto Mr. Hotness-in-a-mask. I'm glad he can get back into his space with all that extra security in place.
    I'm tickled that she figured out who he was. :D
    Yes, he wants her around now it would seem. He's given up on keeping her away.
    The masquerade coming up: Oh, he'll show. He's gotta show. What's the point otherwise? Thing is, what if they do that thing at the end where everyone removes their masks? *gasp* jw

    I hope her father likes the painting and doesn't ask too many questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She may very well be telling the truth. Riley is an unbelievable piece of scum so him forcing himself on someone and then blackmailing them...I'd believe it.

      Hahaha yes! The ones that call you out and then try to embarrass you. If you weren't boring I wouldn't be daydreaming!

      Alex did something that is very unforgivable and Natalie, even if she believed her, would have a hard time trusting her again as well. She waited a very long time before approaching Natalie to tell her anything about that night and it just conveniently places all fault on Riley. She's not biting.

      Chris yeah his love is not being returned unfortunately. It was sweet how he'd gotten the flower for her and was waiting to present it to her but hearing that she was busy not only made his heart wilt but the gift as well. He's Roxanne's brother. Not sure if it's been mentioned in the story yet but it's part of their profiles.

      LOL! That added security actually serves him better so he's not really upset at Natalie over it. Plus like he said there were kids playing around the upper levels, it could have easily been one of them that caused the city to take action.

      Natalie jumped for joy finally realizing who Blake really is but he wasn't so keen on the idea. He was afraid that accepting a dare would bring him out into the public again well accepting a truth gave Natalie fuel for her fire also! He was stuck either way it seems. He has absolutely stopped fighting her coming around. He enjoys her company and has been able to control his rumblings when he smells her.

      The masquerade would be a bust in Natalie's eyes also if he doesn't come. She made the entire idea behind him in hopes of getting him back out into society again. Oooh that would be a complete shock moment for everyone! They not only believe him to be dead but then to see the scars on his face in THAT room where all the rich socialites will be? Would not be pleasant for him.

      Yes! It's a gift from his baby and if she can turn on her charm it shouldn't be too bad. Like Blake said he'll like it simply because it's her and something she did from the heart.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  4. Natalie is right to tell Alex she should have reported Riley. But most times, someone of money and influence is not going to be touched by the law. Daddy and Mommy would get him off. Too bad for Alex though. She should have been honest upfront, if that is truly what happened.

    Poor Chris. :( He seems an ok guy, but will have to get to know him better.

    I don't think that a painting by Blake will be a good thing to present to her father. I think that will be the first event in the road to Blake being discovered. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex claims that Riley is blackmailing him. And while it's not outside the realm of believable she chose to treat Natalie like scum when she was the wronged party in the entire situation. It's hard for Natalie to take anything her ex-best friend says. And that's very true. Privileged people are above the law. It's sad but true no matter what the case.

      Chris' interests in Natalie unfortunately will be unrequited love.

      It is a very bad idea once again by Natalie but she's not really thinking about him being exposed. Instead she's more interested in getting to know Blake and spending more time with him; the same thing Blake is thinking about.

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete