Friday, April 5, 2013

Chapter 09: Escape


“Where on Earth have you been? Do you have any idea how worried I’ve been?” Estelle scolded as Natalie entered the foyer of the manor. “You know you have a schedule to keep but lately it’s been just…”

“I went for a run Mother I just needed to clear my head that’s all.”

“‘That’s all’?! ‘That’s all’?! I’m sorry Natalie Dear but that is FAR from all. Your attention has been very distracted lately and I am very concerned that there is something going on with you that you’re not telling me. Even Mrs. Feingold said she’s noticed your imprecision during your violin lessons! What is going on with you?”


Natalie pushed around her mother and headed up to her bedroom the entire time listening to the elder Silverman ranting behind her. “Don’t you walk away from me Natalie I’m speaking to you!”

“I hear you Mother.”

“‘You hear me’, that is exactly my point Young Lady! This new attitude of yours is unbecoming of a Silverman!  Now tell me what has gotten into you?”

“Nothing. Nothing happens in my life that you’re not aware of as I’m sure the schedule I’ve adhered to is proof of that!” 


Estelle took a step back and tossed her hand over her heart in feigned disgust. Natalie dropped to her bed and turned her head away from her mother as she moved closer towards her. “You know better than to speak to me in that manner, Natalie! Something is up with you and I demand to know what it is now talk to me!”

“Is it a boy? Is it Riley?” Slowly Estelle sank into the mattress beside her daughter. Her hand slipped across her back in her best simulated maternal comfort that just made Natalie feel awkward. “I know things are difficult right now between the two of you, but that is no excuse to ignore your other duties and just run off like you’ve done these last few days. You have a responsibility to your activities as well as a commitment to the community. These things cannot come last to whatever problems you and Riley may be having. Now he really loves you; I can see it in his eyes whenever you’re together. Whatever minor disagreement the two of you had will blow over and you’ll be back to smiles and hugs in no time.”


Natalie remained silent, still very much shocked at how incredibly oblivious her mother seemed about her feelings and her life in general. She turned to face the woman and offered her a plastered on smile. “It’s probably just nerves or stress. I have a huge play coming up and a recital and the semester is just starting. I’m sure I’ll be over it soon enough,” she fraudulently thanked her for her advice. 


“That’s my girl.” Estelle withdrew from the bed and walked over to Natalie’s closet to pick out her outfit for the morning. “Now the South Preston Women’s committee will be stopping by tomorrow afternoon to discuss the highlights of the Charity Ball, you need to look your best. Ah, this should do. We’re having tea out on the veranda at noon. Be sure and get plenty of rest. The last thing I need is for you to have those dreadful bags under your eyes. I’ll see you in the morning Dear; sleep well.”


Natalie sat listening to the women go on about the activities they could host for the gala and the prices each one should hold. She found herself succumbing more and more to her daydreams ignoring the meaningless chatter of which importer to purchase their Beluga caviar from. Estelle tapped her on the knee drawing her from reverie and back towards the topic at hand. “Perhaps an auction would be fun this year,” Estelle suggested with a wicked smile.


“An auction?” Janice repeated in slight dismay. “As in buying and selling off used goods? Why on earth would anyone want to do that?”

“Oh, it all depends on what’s on the chopping block,” Estelle continued and with a nod the other women got the hint.

“A Male Auction? How scandalous!” Claire agreed and leaned forward to sip from her tea cup. “It’s positively sinful I think it just might work!”


“We might have a little problem finding men worthy of the cause though,” Mercedes chimed in with a scowl. “Heavens knows there are few men that can hold a candle to my Charles. I hardly see it being worth it!”


Natalie rolled her eyes and the women began debating the issue a little more. The wind picked up swirling leaves and fallen rose petals around the yard behind them and she stared at the mix of red and gold with more attention than she could muster for the Women’s club. Out of the corner of her eye she noticed a dark figure duck behind the apple tree and smiled as a piece of his coat stuck out from behind the bark. 


“How about a Masque?” Natalie suggested halting the light bickering the women were caught up in. “You know a Masquerade party where you can come as strangers and dance the night away without ever knowing who your masked date was? It’s significant of freedoms that our society does not usually allow for. By hiding your face, it allows you a certain degree of anonymity and the liberty to say and do as you please with the escape of social consequences. It has the sinfulness of a male auction but the discretion of civility all rolled into one.” 


“What a marvelous idea!” Janice and Mercedes instantly agreed. “I think that is just what we need for this year’s gala, a Masquerade where charitable donations of any size are welcomed.”

“Wonderful suggestion, Natalie,” Claire smiled and raised her glass to her.

“Of course, she is a Silverman after all,” Estelle gushed and gave her daughter a small pat on her lap. “We should go ahead and iron out the details. Oh what fun it will be to go on the hunt for the perfect mask; one adorned in jewels and trimmed in gold!”

“Mother, I actually have a prior engagement with Jessica and Roxanne,” she lied as Janice, Riley’s mother, looked in her direction. “May I be excused?”

“Well I wouldn’t want you to break a promise, Natalie. Yes you may be excused. Don’t forget you have rehearsal at 4 at Branson Hall and I want you to call me when you get there.”


“I will. Thank you for tea Ladies.” She pulled away from the table and hurried upstairs to change into something less restricting. Jumping behind the wheel of her Lexus, she started towards the industrial district parking in front of the port which receives a lot of traffic throughout the day; her Lexus shouldn’t be spotted.


She hopped out of the car and walked towards the abandoned factory hoping the mystery man would see her and open the door. Noticing movement on the back staircase, Natalie wiggled through the hole in the fence and hurried towards it. The door opened just as she got to it and she stepped into the narrow hallway, pushing herself against the other side so Blake could lock the door behind her. “I saw you,” she smiled as he turned to face her and she followed him through the corridor until she was standing in his living room again. “How did you know where I lived?”


“Doesn’t everyone? Natalie Silverman. You’re not exactly low on the totem pole in this town; it was easy enough. I thought I told you not to come back here again.” He replied and moved his canvases to the floor so that she could sit down.

“Says the man sneaking behind apple trees in my backyard!” Blake blushed a little making the smile on Natalie’s face grow wider. “What were you doing there?”


“I…just…wanted to make sure you were ok. After our conversation last night in the garden you seemed…depressed. It’s none of my business I know but I felt I should kind of check in on you.”

“How sweet,” Natalie replied solemnly. “Thank you for your concern. You’re like my own Guardian Angel, I swear. And you’re the only interesting thing that has happened to me since well since I can remember.” Her face took on a grave look as she flashed back to the club and her best friend screaming her boyfriend’s name.

“Why did you come back here?”


“Why did you let me in?”

“I couldn’t risk letting you stand there banging on the door again in broad daylight. I told you before no one can know about me! I don’t need or want the attention.” His voice became harsher as he spoke and he blew out a breath as he caught himself growling. “Now answer the question, why did you come back?”

“Because I wanted to ask you something.”


He inhaled deeply and took a seat on the sofa adjacent to her believing she’d finally come around to what happened to him and why he was hiding underground. “Yes?”

“The Women’s club is hosting a charity event next month. I was sort of wondering if you might perhaps want to come?”

“Uh…” Blake chuckled lightly and stood as he rubbed a nervous hand through his hair. “I don’t…I’m not…are you asking me out?”

“Well yeah I guess. You stay cooped up in here for who knows how long. I figured a nice social event might be fun. And despite what you say I know you could use a friend, no one wants to be left alone forever.”


“You don’t even know my name.”

“Only because you don’t want me to know. But whatever,” she shrugged. “It doesn’t change the fact that you did something for me and I want to try and repay you by getting you out there again.”

“You mean by exposing me to the public and the ridicule of your posh friends, no thank you.” Blake’s tone again started to rise as he felt himself losing control. “Why would you think I’d want to come to some party hosted by your high society? Trust me, I’m very much unwanted.” 


“You’re right. It was a silly idea anyway, I’m sorry I bothered you,” Natalie sighed and started for the door. Blake sensed her anguish and stopped her before she turned the handle to leave.

“Wait, I didn’t mean to insult you. It was a nice offer but I’m just not cut out for the public. I’m not exactly someone that you can take home to Mom. Plus, can you imagine this face showing up to your party?”


“It’s a masquerade. Everyone will be in masks,” she replied meekly and leaned forward to clearly see the plastic that covered the right side of his face. “How did…how did it happen?”

“It’s sort of a long story,” he replied turning his back again.

“I have all night,” Natalie smiled as she thought about skipping rehearsal to learn more about this man. He seemed highly intelligent and from the amount of artwork scattered around his home she could tell he was very talented. 


She walked towards a picture hanging on the other side of the room and examined it. There was no name scrawled on it which was a little disappointing. She had hoped to learn his name by some alternate means since he seemed rather guarded on the subject. “What’s your preferred medium, painting or photography?” she asked noticing more canvases lined up against the wall.


“Well I enjoy them both very much but if I had to choose just one, I’d say painting. It’s much more intimate. It allows me to get very detailed and close up to my subject in a way that looking through a lens ever could.” He responded and slowly approached her. “I can be within inches of my subject and see its true beauty; every curve, every line, every unique imperfection. Each individual pore from the curl in their lips to a single follicle of hair.”


He hesitantly reached over and swooped a strand of her hair from her face being careful not to allow his touch to linger. “I can make out the details that wholly compose your face. The smallest dimple that appears when you smile, the light brown and blonde roots that fade at your hairline but shimmer beneath the sunlight to even the tiniest golden flecks in the irises of your eyes. I’ve seen the worry lines in your forehead when you’re in deep thought. The way your nose scrunches when you inhale a scent that’s not pleasing and even the way your eyes smile when you’re excited. Every distinct feature that makes you the beautiful person you are.”


Natalie stood listening to him, captivated by his explanation of art. In one moment he made her feel more like a person than anyone in her life ever had. To him she wasn’t just a last name or her father’s bank account. He could see her as she was and not the person she was supposed to be in the eyes of society and that made her feel beautiful. “Wow,” she blew out the breath she didn’t know she was holding and averted her gaze from his. “That’s remarkable.”


Blake could sense the escalation in her pulse and the erratic beating in her heart as it pounded beneath her breast. It was a sign of attraction, one he was very familiar with, and it made him excited; a bad move in her presence. He felt the aching of his wolf, closed his eyes and breathed deeply to stop himself from changing. Quickly he turned his back to her to hide the fur that was taking shape on his hand. His eyes became a bright yellow hue, glowing brightly in his skull and he felt the extending of his fangs from within his gums. “Are you ok?” she asked placing a hand on his shoulder as she tried to turn him to face her.


“Stay back!” he growled causing Natalie to move away. Blake fell to his hands and knees, squeezing his eyes shut tighter as he coaxed the animal back into its cage. His stomach muscles began to relax and he was able to control his breathing. Blake groaned and turned his hands over a few times ensuring the fur had disappeared and his claws retracted before climbing to his feet again. He rushed to the sink in his kitchen and splashed a handful of water on his face.


Natalie slowly followed him watching his every move intently. Blake caught sight of her again and turned with an apologetic look on his face. “I think you should go, Natalie, it’s not safe for you here. I have this…thing and I don’t want to hurt you. There are things about me you just don’t know and it’s too dangerous for you to hang around.”


Natalie smiled and moved into the kitchen with him. Grabbing a rag from beside the sink, she ran it beneath the water and patted his forehead a few times with it. “I once volunteered at the Moss Creek Elderly Center in Newport. I’ve seen people with a large range of psychological illnesses that caused sudden changes in mood and behavior. The one thing that was common amongst them all was that no matter how bad it got, they had a way to shut it off before it became harmful to others. I can help you find your escape; you just have to be willing to try.”


He watched her as she innocently went about caring for him, gently sweeping the rag over his face dabbing his cheek and forehead until the heat she felt withdrew from his skin. It was obvious she wasn’t going to heed his warning, the fact that she kept returning was proof enough of that. He stopped thinking about whatever reason kept drawing her here and quietly vowed to keep his wolf in check whenever she was around. He took a breath as his gaze continued to linger and quietly spoke. “Blake.”

“Hmm?” she responded as she turned to the sink for more water. He took her hand in his until he completely possessed her full attention and released his breath.

“My name is Blake,” he repeated, this time behind a smile.

“Well hello Blake, it’s nice to make your acquaintance.”

Continue ---->

10 comments:

  1. hahahaha I swear in a horror flick Nat would be dead. hahahaha

    oh can we kill her mom please or botox her vocal chords so she can't talk??? something. UGH is is just UGH. How in the hell does Natalie not go off on her??? I know that she's the mom and all but seriously at some point she has to just be ready yell leave me the fuck alone!!!! Hell I'm screaming at the screen.

    Her idea of of the masked ball was to get Blake there. How sweet and it was cute him stuttering over being asked out. LOL Aww too adorable. She's drawn to him. He saved her, and he's been the only person in a long time to really see past her fake smile. They need each other and can help each other if he can just get past his minor 'thing'.

    Can't wait to see if he shows up at the ball or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Probably! She seems to have no conscious concern for her own safety :P

      HAHAHA that sounds utterly painful. Botox in the vocal chord? Wow. Natalie was raised a proper girl. She was at her breaking point though and that was why she walked away from her mother rather than explode in the foyer. Lol! The more she gets a taste of freedom the more she is being pushed to the brink of going off on her. Blake is a great influence as far as that's concerned.

      Yep! She's hoping he'll say yes and keep her entertained during the event. She really wants to learn more about him and he sees that she's very sincere. It's really messing with his head. Lol he's never been asked out before by someone he actually has fallen in love with. He didn't know what to say :P And telling her to leave then stopping her from walking out...mixed signals Blake. he does see her for who she really is and what really makes her tick. And it's sad because he hasn't been in her life as long as the others around her. Haha minor :P Well thanks to her not seeming to mind, he's starting to ease off (or will)

      He'd better come. I'm sure it'll mean a lot to Natalie :)

      Delete
  2. I love these two together. And I CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT MASQUE!!!!!!! My dream ball!!!! I agree, if this was a horror movie, she'd be dead... or scarred for sure (though, I'm not ruling the last out. Blake is a little unstable at times)

    The high society makes me want to puke. don't think I could live in those circles. I'd be a serious rebel (more so then now). I can't stand her mother. Controlling much? She thinks Nat is a freaking robot for crying out loud.
    To be honest, she reminds me of a slum slut who married into money and is trying to erase her past by being a snob.

    "I want to give you everything I never had Nat. I wish you didn't have to be so ungrateful about it!" <--- that's how she sounds in my mind. LOL

    Great Chapter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww :) thank you! Yes it should be fun (if not a lot of work dressing sims etc). They would have a nice little way to "hide" together at the ball though! Just a little :P he has tried warning her a few times to stay away but she's just too stubborn to listen.

      You and me both! It's sad people are so high on themselves like that. And then there are people killing to get in those circles...sad. Natalie is beginning to really hate her life but now she has Blake who is like the ray of sunshine through dark clouds on a stormy day; he's a life saver. Her Mom has some serious issues. She believes she has to control every step of Natalie's existence and knows nothing about her! Haha Hmm I wonder :P wouldn't that be something?

      That's what she acts like too! But she's not fooling Natalie. Especially when she and her Dad used to talk about her all the time and how they met. She knows he wasn't her first (no matter what her Mother says). Daddy has always been honest :)

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  3. D'awwww does he even realize he's basically agreed to and is planning on seeing her more now? Or what that could mean? (apart from being 'discovered'). I loved her taking care of him after he 'got sick' <3 It's so fun watching them build up to something, even if it's just friends on shaky ground for right now. It'll be amazing when they do come to together. No pun intended, of course ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, he's slowly coming to see that he needs her to stick around as much as she wants to be there. He gave her something he told himself that if he kept secret, she'd eventually stop bothering; his name. Now it just adds fuel to her fire. That was exactly what he gave her permission to come around more. Natalie cares despite Blake's perception about the world she lives in, the society he himself was once a part of, she isn't like those people. She has genuine concern for her friends and family regardless of how she is treated and he is just someone else she regards as friend. I'm really enjoying their build up as well. The fact that they can come together as friends from two very different backgrounds and enjoy one another's company is a lot of fun to watch and I'm very happy you're enjoying the story so far :)

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  4. 'Masquerade! Paper faces on parade. Masquerade.'
    *giggles*

    I have a strong feeling she's going to convince him to come. Just a hunch. ;)

    Oh my! The way he described her made me go weak in the knees! How utterly romantic. But then, he nearly transformed. Whoa boy, control those hormones or whatever chemical does it. If it's chemical. It's all chemical to me.
    Oh, and I chuckled at the way he pretty much gave up telling her to stay away! He's catching on! She's desperately looking for some way to escape her mother, and he she's found someone who's escaped from society all together!

    'Nice to make your acquaintance.' ?! do huh? LOL I guess some things are so ingrained into her behavior she can't help but say it. I could also hear a hint of facetiousness in her voice, almost to sarcasm. Sarcasm against the way she was raised, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hide your face so the world will never find you! :)

      She'll definitely try and work her mojo. She probably doesn't realize it yet but she has the power to make him fall on his knees for her :P

      Aww :) He was really trying to tell her "I see you" without saying "I've been watching you". He cleverly hid his wording and got the desired effect from Natalie. But it also worked him up to being able to actually touch her and look at her up close. I think it's chemical. The minute he starts getting all antsy in the pantsy his wolf starts wagging its tail...literally!

      Lol! Yes, he's finally learning. She'll never back off no matter how much he growls and yells. And now that she knows his name, game on! Exactly! He has been a blessing in disguise. Someone no one knows about that she can talk to on a real level and keep to herself untainted by her world, such a find to her. No way was she ready to give that up!

      Yes! That's exactly it! While they've been "acquainted" the fact that she just learned his name put a new spin on things and she wanted him to know. "HA! I got you now" but do it in a humorous yet understated way lol. Blake will have his hands full :)

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  5. Very interesting spin in the charity benefit that Natalie made. Hmmm... Probably not the best thing she did. She's quite naive, really. I think her parents scheduling her life have made her a bit unaware of things.

    And she went back to him. I hope Riley isn't following her around. I am more worried for Blake than for her. He is the one who will be harmed the most. I hope it doesn't come to that... Have to read more.... ;) I am also surprised she was not very observant about the photo and then the name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie thinks she can bring Blake out of hiding by taking him out on the town. She's intrigued by him and knows she can't continue to sneak away to learn more about him so she's hoping to get him onto even playing ground. Blake won't want to go because of the idea of being out in the open. She has no idea why he's hiding and what caused him to hide in the first place. It's a dangerous situation for sure!

      Not Riley but there may definitely be reason to be extra sneaky while going to see him. It's very careless and she'll see why he kept telling her to stay away very soon! Blake will be the one hurt most unfortunately. He's worked rather hard to protect himself from society and Natalie is trying to push him back into the world before he is ready.

      As for the photo, all in good time :D

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete