Thursday, June 27, 2013

Chapter 15: Intermission

*Warning: Picture heavy (but it's mostly because of the ballet).*


Tonight is the big night. Everyone is dressed up and sitting in the audience prepared for my performance as Odette in Swan Lake and for the first time in a long time I actually feel nervous. Not so much about my performance but the fact that he will be here, watching. I told him it was no big deal and he didn’t have to try and make an appearance for my sake but he said it was something he wanted to do. That it’s nice supporting a friend in her choices especially since it will be my last dance. And he’s right about that. I’ve decided that I don’t want this ‘career’. I want to be able to write whatever I want, whenever I want without fear of being reprimanded or treated like a child. 



I’ve never had the courage to do what I’ve wanted but I’m finding that the more I’m around him, the more free I feel. He’s a wonderfully talented artist forced to hide himself from the world because of his appearance yet he has never stopped doing what he loves. I truly envy that. And here I sit, one of the privileged—a child of massive wealth and endless resources yet I can’t even do one thing I want! Well that ends with tonight’s curtain call. I will no longer be the Silverman that dances. I’ll be the famous author sans my birth name. Hmm, that reminds me; I will need a suitable pen name. But that is a concern for later. I hear the minute bell; the show must go on!
                                                                                                                         - NS                                    


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The growing darkness proves the enemy for the hunting party and Prince Siegfried finds himself separated from his friends. He calls for them but hears not a sound as he makes his way through the quickly dimming light of the forest. Pausing momentarily he notices just beyond the brush movement and prays he has found his companions. But beneath the looming shadows of the moon, a flock of swans land in the crystal blue waters of the lake.  


Perhaps the night will not be a total loss, he thinks as he quietly watches the fowl. Mist swirls over the water as Prince Siegfried draws near, his bow at the ready an arrow freshly plucked from his quiver. He takes aim at the larger of the group, pointing the sharpest edge of the arrow at the swan’s heart. Siegfried takes a breath, slowly releases it and just before he lets the arrow glide from his fingertips, a bright light floats just over the water and he takes in a magical sight.


Odette, Queen of the Swans, walks apprehensively ashore and approaches Prince Siegfried. He promises her no harm and she begins to explain that she and the other swans are actually beautiful, young maidens transformed by an evil sorcerer named von Rothbart. By day they take the form of swans but at night they return to human form when the waters of the enchanted lake, a creation of Odette’s mother’s tears, caress their feathers. 


Prince Siegfried swears to destroy von Rothbart and his evil magic but Odette quickly explains that if von Rothbart dies before the spell is broken it can never be undone. Taking her into his arms, Prince Siegfried becomes enchanted by her eyes and she confides that only one who has never loved before and pledges his undying love to Odette forever can break the spell. For the next few hours the two become acquainted, enjoying one another’s company. Enthralled by her beauty, Prince Siegfried trusts that he can be the one to undo her curse as he has fallen in love with her. As dawn arrives, the spell once again looms over the flock. Odette bids farewell to the Prince and she and her companions return to the lake as swans for the day. Prince Siegfried falls to his knees in defeat and vows his eternal love and fidelity.


“Judging from the huge grin on your face I can hazard a guess that you’re enjoying yourself?” Nick asked as he and Blake exited the hallway for intermission.

“She’s wonderful! Don’t you think so? I mean, wow! She moves so gracefully across the stage and the speed her legs were kicking…I just—I’m blown away!” Blake watched as the doors started opening and bowed his head to conceal his face from the crowds of people flooding out of the theater.

Nick noticed his change in mood and looked at his wristwatch. “Twenty minutes. And I suppose you want to spend it outside in the cold away from prying eyes?” Blake growled becoming suddenly agitated and Nick jumped back slightly.


“Dude! Your eyes!” Nick warned and Blake immediately hurried towards the exit and pressed his back to the wall. Blake closed his eyes and breathed deeply a few times as Nick stood beside him acting as a shield blocking him from view. 


“What’s the matter? You going all Prince Siegfried preparing to rescue your fair Odette from the evil clutches of von Rothbart?” He smirked at his friend’s frustrated scowl and watched the normal hue of Blake’s light green eyes return.

“Funny.”

“That was pure gold! But seriously Man, what was that?”

“Something’s not right; someone’s here that’s…like me.”

“Wait what? Another wolf?” Nick whispered and followed Blake’s train of thought.

“Yeah and I can sense that whoever it is they’re up to no good.”

“You can sense that?”

“I have increased vision, sound, taste, touch and smell; I can sense A LOT, trust me.”


“Oh wow, that’s…interesting. Tell me what else can your super Spidey senses tell you?” Nick half joked as he waited on Blake’s answer.

“Dude, what you do in the privacy of your own bedroom is none of my business.”

“Wha-ha-ha-what’s that—what’s that supposed to mean?” Nick asked nervously and straightened his tie.

“Right. Don’t worry; I’m sure it’s perfectly normal. And your secret is safe with me.”

“Um…so this other wolf you ah, you think he’s after you?”

“I don’t know. He might be one of the wolves that attacked me back at my place.”

“Well if that’s the case wouldn’t he be after Natalie too?” Blake’s eyes shot up to his friend’s and he immediately rushed back through the doors they’d exited. 


Crowds of people had already began piling out of the theater for the intermission and he found himself pushing his way through the throngs of those milling about the bathroom lines. “Wait, hey you can’t go back there,” Nick grabbed Blake’s arm as he started towards the backstage area through a door labeled “Employees Only”.


“Watch me!” he growled and rumbled forward. Actors and dancers of the like were rushing around the area in the middle of costume changes or overall water breaks. A few of them even stopped for a smoke and chat which surprised him considering the fact that many of these dancers were believed to be health nuts.


Noticing Brody standing guard beside a doorway he assumed it to be Natalie’s and thought up a distraction in order to slip past him. “This is crazy,” Nick whispered behind him. He turned in surprise but the shock melted into a warm smile as he hatched a plan. “What? Why are you looking at me like that?”

“I need you to go and say hello to Natalie like a crazed fan.”

“Uh…there’s security on the door.”

“Yeah but that shouldn’t be an issue for the Nick DeLong! Come on, be a pal,” this time Blake smirked at Nick’s frustration and watched him move forward. He got into a position that would easily allow him to sneak into the room once the guard’s attention turned and waited for Nick to do his part. He noticed a vase of roses sitting beside him and plucked one free, inhaling the scent of its petals as he did. The second Brody turned towards Nick, Blake made his move and quickly, silently, shut the door behind him.


“Blake!”

“Shh,” he motioned with his hand as he locked the door and moved into the light.

“What are you doing?” Natalie whispered watching him slink forward. “You know you’re not allowed backstage right? I can’t tell you what security would do if they found you.”

“Oh right. Like you’re one to give me a lecture about being someplace I’m not meant to be?” Natalie grinned and turned back towards her mirror as she finished removing the first Act’s costume jewels from her hair and face. “So uh…how are you uh doing?”


“I’ve been ok I guess. What about you? Are you any closer to figuring out who came to your place?”

“Not really, no. Has anyone made contact with you? Have you seen anything suspicious or out of place?”

“No. But I can’t say I’ve actually been looking either.” Natalie stood and moved towards him with a smile. “I’m glad you came to watch my show.” 


“Anytime,” he smiled. “Well seeing how it appears a flower truck dumped its entire inventory on your floor I don’t think you need anymore. But um…” he pulled the flower from behind his back and presented it to Natalie with a smile. “I got something for you.”

Gently she removed the stem from his fingers and took a deep breath of the fragranced plant. “The others are from strangers who’ve come to watch me perform and give their thanks. I have no idea who half of them are and Mom always throws their gifts in the trash at curtain call. She says that gifts from strangers never lead anywhere pleasant. This one I’ll cherish always.” She sniffed the flower once more, walked over to her diary sitting on top of the coffee table and placed the rose between the pages before returning to Blake.


“You looked great out on that stage. I don’t get how you can say you don’t love it. When you dance you look so fluid and natural; like you were born to perform.”

“I used to think that. But like I told you before Swan Lake is one of my favorite ballets to dance so that might be the reason why. It’s the story of true love conquering all. Odette and her Prince Siegfried up against the evil von Rothbart, struggling to overcome the odds against the magician and win her freedom; it’s beautiful, classic. The Prince’s love for his Swan Princess broke the magical spell the sorcerer had her under and they lived happily ever after. It doesn’t get any better than that.”


Blake noticed the way Natalie’s face lit up as she spoke about the ballet and her role as one half of a couple sworn to fight against her oppressor and win no matter the stakes. “Well when you put it like that, what’s not to love?” He caught himself staring at the excitement laced within her features and cleared his throat as a distraction to wake himself from his daydream.

“You look nice. I love the lilac.”

“Thanks.” Blake smiled as she spotted the color he’d specifically chosen just for her. He knew it to be her favorite and was hoping that she’d notice. “It’s um, Nick’s suit.”


“Well it fits you nicely. You should keep it. Tell him I said so,” she giggled sweetly, brushed a piece of lint from his lapel and straightened his tie. A bell sounded in the hallway and Natalie glanced towards the clock on the wall. “Five minutes before the curtains open again. I need to finish getting myself ready.”

“I won’t keep you,” he paused and turned back towards her. “Although, I’m not sure if I can get past your bodyguard without him seeing me.”


“Oh right.” She started towards the door and stopped just before turning the lock. “Wait, how did you get in here?”

“Nick. He has a few uses it would seem,” he joked and waited for her to remove her guard from the door so he could retreat out the back again. Blake closed the backstage doors and rushed towards the exit again but was jerked into a corner as he entered the hallway.


“How’d it go?” Nick asked with expectant eyes as Blake straightened himself and pushed up against the wall.

“Fine. She’s doing well. She looks great and smells so…”

“I meant about the wolves. Did she mention seeing dark shadows following her or anything?”

“Oh uh…she said she didn’t notice so I’m not sure. Either way I’ll keep my eyes peeled for anyone. Come on, it’s almost time for Act III and I don’t want to miss it.”


Nick followed after him whistling the child’s rhyme “Sitting in a tree” and Blake turned with a frown. “What? I’m in the mood for music.”

“Well cut it out or else I’ll start singing about what goes on in your bedroom nearly every night.”

“Blackmail! Dirty, that’s real dirty Bro!”

“Sue me,” Blake grinned, took his seat on the third balcony and waited for Natalie to make it back to the stage.

Continue ---->

24 comments:

  1. The shots in this were so purty. :D Great job putting on the ballet!

    It's nice that Blake braved the crowds to go see Nat perform. It's even better that Blake's influence is giving her a bit of a backbone when it some to her mom. I can't wait to see how that conversation goes when Nat tells her she's done dancing. Her mom might pop a blood vessel hahahaha!

    So who ever attacked them has found Natalie it seems. :( That can't be good, especially since Blake didn't get a chance to see who it was. Luckily his spidy senses will help him along.

    hahahaha I love Nick. He's funny and I'm so glad he's taking all of this so well. But um...now I'm curious to know what goes on in his bedroom. Hope we get to have a glimpse of the naughty side of Mr. DELONG (HAHAHA his name cracks me up now. I have such a dirty mind)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really hadn't intended to make it so long but couldn't decide what shots to use and which to discard.

      Blake has shown Natalie that she has the right to do what she wants and it's a good thing considering she's been taught the complete opposite since conception. He's a growing influence that's making her become more independent! LOL Estelle probably would have a heart attack but I think her dad would support her if he knew the deal.

      LOL @ Spidy senses. Blake hasn't really investigated yet and we'll see why in C16 but he's about to put forth the effort now knowing that someone is close to Natalie. He can't let them get to her.

      Nick's trying to be the friend he's always been for Blake and it's a very needed relationship right now as Blake copes with being out in the real world again. But of course! It wouldn't be fair to mention Nick the freak and not show him bound and gagged and being whipped now would it? :P

      LOL I actually didn't do that on purpose but it's funny...how fitting!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Ooooo Nick is a little freaky. I like that.

    Alright Blake, time to take the mask off. Embrace the scars, embrace the wolf and let's see how badass you really are. Also, seems like Natalie has a little badass deep down somewhere. I think she should have the opportunity for kicking ass and not taking names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. He keeps himself very entertained that's for sure :P

      Blake is not far behind that. Once the full moon comes, he'll be ready to jump into the fray and take out these men before they are able to do any real damage to the ones he loves. Haha Natalie? Yeah she is getting a little backbone thanks to Blake. Hopefully she'll be able to embrace her inner badgirl too and really live for herself.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  3. I loved the pics for the ballet very nicely done. OHH he senses someone ...that is bad news I hope he figures it out soon...I want to see him in action. Hmm what Nick does in his bedroom LOL....several scenarios come to mind....so maybe we will see another side of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was fun getting them set up. Then of course afterwards there were new poses for partner ballet that would have been perfect. Always how it goes though. Blake didn't like the feel he got off the other wolf either so he knows it's someone out to do harm. You'll get your wish next chapter :D haha most definitely will get to see Nick's "wild side" also. He's a charmer with a penchant for leather!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  4. Why do I get the feeling she won't make it back to the stage?

    I hope that Blake can stop whoever it is before they do anything to Natalie, but I have a feeling it's too late already :|

    Well done with the ballet! That must've taken ages! I've not seen Swan Lake, and I don't even know the storyline, so this was a lesson for me ;)

    I hope we get to see just what Nick gets up to almost every night in his bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that happens I think everyone there would be in a LOT of danger because Blake will go mental. Hopefully it's just one of those nagging feelings that proves false though. But there's certainly something there that's not good for Blake or Natalie.

      Well I'm glad you enjoyed it and yes, it was a TON of work. The audience was maybe a little too lively than normal ballet crowds but that's EA right? Lol. Swan Lake is awesome but I've only seen one live show and that was when I was in high school. I do love the Disney version.

      Absolutely! I think it would be a lot of fun exploring what's behind Nick's closed doors :P

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  5. My son wants me to tell you that he did not appreciate the pull on the internet I just did. *rolls eyes* LOL! He's playing an MMO and had lag issues, so he blamed me.

    ANYway... any time I see the word intermission, I think of the song 'Inquisition' from Mel Brooks' movie 'History of the World, part I'. Yeah. I'm crazy, nothing new there, move along...

    Now to actually READ:

    Okay, so if Nick was a wolf then Blake probably would've sensed it by now. I think I'm starting to back off from Nick and take him at face value, and what a nice face...
    'privacy of your own bedroom' Huh? What was that all about? I missed something again.
    LOL how Blake didn't even think anymore about the wolves until Nick said something because he was so enraptured from just being with her.
    *I* wanna know what goes on in his bedroom every night.... grrrr

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha tell him I'm very, very sorry and I won't let it happen again :P Oh yeah an MMO, it was so your and by extension my fault. What game is he playing? (Being nosy)

      That's perfectly ok and believe it or not I'm used to that. My husband is a HUGE Mel Brooks fan and is constantly quoting one thing or another (his fave being Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles).

      Aww Nick is finally winning you over :) Yep, Blake would have definitely sensed it the moment he first started checking in on his old friend; Nick's all human and a good friend. Lol let's just say Nick can get pretty loud (or Blake just has super wolfy hearing). Either way things have been interesting since he has been rooming with his friend. It's mostly why last episode he wanted to check out his old place...get away from the noise and discomfort.

      Blake was having the time of his life watching the object of his affection floating across the stage. Now he's more attentive to the mounting pressure of the dangers lurking nearby!

      Ask and ye shall receive :)

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
    2. Perfect World. It's free unless you want really cool stuff, and it has the best character creation options out there for any that I've seen (Shaiya being the worst with WoW close behind).
      I was once very addicted to that, but now I'm just a casual player.

      I've only seen Young Frankenstein once or twice, but I LOVE Blazing Saddles. (I'm tired. So tired. LMAO)

      Finally, uh huh. Not 100% there but 95% is good.

      I shall receive? You mean I'm gonna get to know beyond a shadow of a doubt? *big toothy grin*

      Delete
    3. I used to be a WoW addict too as well as my hubs. I think I'll tell him about Perfect World, he likes MMO and FTP games (currently in love with League of Legends).

      Lol! My fave Brooks is Robin Hood Men in Tights with Young Frankenstein 2nd.

      Well that's closer, much closer :P he'll win over that last 5%!

      Absolutely! It should be fun :)

      Delete
  6. Okay, now you've opened Pandora's Box. Or should I say Nick's Box? We need DETAILS.

    I loved the pictures and the scenery you built to go with it. Really a lovely effort and Natalie looked beautiful.

    It's true, she's building her strength because of Blake and that is great to watch. I'm worried for her safety, though. I'm afraid she's not going to get to the next act. Hopefully Blake gets to her in time.

    Great chapter, I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yes! Nick's enjoyment of a mistress of pain (or reversing the roles) is something that I'm sure Blake would love to escape and all of the rest of us would love to enjoy!

      Thank you. I started her in different ballerina wear until I was able to track down one that looked more like a swan and it worked perfectly. I'm happy to hear it paid off!

      Blake will make every effort to protect her. Finally being able to come out of her shell and then meeting with something tragic might just make her recoil even more than she had been before and that would be a shame. Natalie has no idea what's out there and although he wants to be close to her, there's no way he can reveal the truth for fear of running her away sadly enough.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  7. Well great! My attention span has faltered and I'm now fixed on the wrong part of this update! It was nice, beautiful and loving.... yadayadayada....

    WHAT GOES ON IN NICK'S BEDROOM??????
    Don't avoid, come on girl, DISH!!!
    ....or better yet.... SHOW!!!!!

    The update was very nice, yes, beautiful, yes, intriguing, yes,.....

    SHOW ME WHAT IS HAPPENING IN NICK'S BEDROOM!!!
    (jumping in my seat)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What attention span? You're trying to sell me something here Jem and I ain't buying! Nice try though, nice try :)

      HAHAHA everyone is so curious. Trust me, Blake is NOT enjoying hearing it. Although he's a guy and that's his best friend so I can understand why he's a tad uncomfortable about the whole thing. Nick though enjoys exploring his freaky side and doesn't mind a little pain where pleasure is concerned.

      Lol! I'll show ya, he just has to meet someone who will share in his interest. All soon since he meets her in 17.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
    2. Well crap, that's 2 chapters too late, no wait 3-4!!!! You said he meets her there, so the grand tour happens in a chapter or two after! Although that party sets a certain mood, so who knows about that same night! :P

      That masque babe is getting it for sure! Nick is a hot piece of buttcheeks and I'd like a bite! Get YOUR buttcheeks to working Deej! Mama's WAITING!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    3. 3-4 chapters? Hmm let's see if that's right. It might be in the neighborhood for certain. It's true the party might have a certain atmosphere but this is their first night together. Though technically she is practically throwing it in his face so...I suppose it wouldn't be so farfetched. 3-4 chapters...might be um...accurate?

      Lol! Roger, on it!

      Delete
  8. Awwh! Natalie and Blake are adorable despite the fact that there's a baddie on the loose:o I feel a booty-kickin scene coming soon too!

    That Nick though, he's a cutie^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie and Blake are getting closer and closer and the more chances he has of being around her, the more he'll take. There is definitely some action heading their way as Blake finds that her life, thanks to him, has been completely turned upside down.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  9. I'm finally catching up on this great story. Love it so far, it's kind of sad but in a beautiful way.

    And about this chapter...

    Those ballet scenes were gorgeous. And Blake's backstage interaction with Natalie was so romantic. I absolutely love him.

    Now, I'm also very curious about what Nick does in his bedroom every night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was hoping to make it exactly that, romantic but not too mushy; almost tragic but not utterly hopeless.

      Swan Lake was fun to recreate! I can only imagine what other ballets would be the same replicated in Sims! Blake and Natalie are slowly but surely getting to the point where they WANT a small daily interaction with one another, like a drug they can't live without. Blake is sensitive and sincere and interesting to see him try and earn his place in Natalie's world.

      Haha Nick is a wonderful, splendid thing :P

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  10. "How'd it go?" .... *LOL**LOL**LOL* The answer and come back ... too funny... I am in love with Nick. :) I don't think I wanna know about the bedroom stuff though *LOL*

    I wonder if the other could be the bodyguard? Hmmm I would think that Blake could sense that with his heightened super Spidey skills *LOL* ... I love these two, really :)

    The dance pictures were stunning.... very very pretty...

    I can't believe her mother is so shallow to toss all of the gifts to the trash... how sad for the fans that thought so much of her daughter to give her gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Blake was on a completely different planet right there. Good thing Nick stopped him though; there's no telling where that would have ended up! Haha I don't think Blake really wants to know about that either!

      Ooh interesting thought! Blake really should be able to sense more but he has tried to suppress his other side for so long unfortunately he's not completely in control of how it all works. Very soon though he'll seek help to learn more about himself! Haha they are fun to write too!

      Thank you! It was a lot of fun to put together!

      Right? How stuck up can she get? It's understandable to not eat chocolates from strangers but flowers? What are they laced with cyanide or something? Will she sniff one with a chloroform scent and pass out? Estelle is also on another planet!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete