Thursday, July 11, 2013

Chapter 16: Full Moon


Run! Faster! Blake kept telling himself as he found himself being chased by some unseen force. Darkness grew quickly encompassing the area throwing ominous shadows onto the ground he could see. The moon lit a path through the forest but it wasn’t necessary; he found he could see through even the darkest of nights. Trees broke somewhere behind him as he ducked beneath a low hanging branch to get free of the woods. He needed to get to the cabin, then it would all be ok.


The damp mud sloshed beneath his feet and he stopped midstride as a beastly howl caused the night life around him to dash in various directions in fear. Something was behind him, something more than human, more than animal and he could smell it. Stumbling over the harsh ground as twigs and rocks cut into the pads of his feet, the smell of his blood aroused the animal and he could feel it growing nearer the harder he ran. With a vision as clear as crystal and the scent of something so enticing and familiar, Blake trudged deeper and deeper through the brush.


Its eyes were as red as blood and it had a growl that meant business, the beast turned and stared directly at Blake and his blood ran cold. Slowly it crawled forward, tauntingly glancing between him and the cabin door. Something was inside there that drew Blake here. Something the beast wanted that Blake knew he had to protect. He couldn’t shake the feeling that he’d been here before and the beast drooling and snarling at his feet was familiar. Taking one shaky step backwards Blake fell, landing on the jagged rocks beneath him and the wolf instantly pounced on top of him. Opening its jaw wide, it prepared to take a bite and in that moment Blake’s eyes snapped open.


Awakening with a start and to the loud drumming on his front door, he groaned as light flooded through his partially closed eyelids. It sounded like a hammer beating into the wood causing the glass to vibrate inside and resonate down the hall. Dragging himself out of bed he slowly meandered downstairs to see who was making the raucous. 


“Nick?” Blake asked quizzically as he opened the door to his best friend. The smile spread on his face and he jiggled a bag in his hand and glanced over Blake’s shoulder into the living room.

“You have company or something? Let me in!” he pressed past Blake and dropped a large duffel onto the floor beside the sofa. “Did I interrupt something? You’re sweating profusely.”

“What? No, no, I wasn’t doing…that,” Blake replied wiping at his forehead as he shut the door and joined his friend in the living room. 

“Well don’t make it sound like a bad thing. I promise the websites that claim God kills a kitten every time, total fabrication!”

“I’ll bet.”


“Jesus Dude that looks bad, you should consider looking into some Bactine or something for that.”

“Yeah well you should see the other guy,” Blake smiled as he looked at the scratches on his chest reminding him of the fact that he forgot to grab a shirt before coming down. It had been a while since anyone had seen him topless and the scars from the night he was attacked even now lingered, many of them still somewhat fresh. Blake swallowed hard as he thought about the ones on his back and made sure to keep Nick in front of him so that he didn’t freak out. “What uh, what are you doing here Nick?”

“It’s almost time.”

“Time for?”


“Oh come on, I checked the stages of the lunar cycle. I know tonight’s the night; first night of the full moon. I came to offer my assistance. You just wake up? It’s like one in the afternoon.”

“Yeah I just woke up I haven’t been sleeping well and no I don’t need assistance Nick in fact I need you and everyone else to stay away from me for the next three days.” Grabbing the bag at his foot, Nick unzipped the top to reveal three 3/8" x 14 ft heavy duty tow chains, a 6ft choke grip dog chain with a swivel head and a pair of double locking, steel-hinged handcuffs. “Look ok, I said whatever goes on in your bedroom was your business man, I don’t need a breakdown of the tools in your arsenal.”


“Haha very funny. No, I bought all of this for you. I don’t know how you usually handle the um change thing but I do know that you were underground where I assume you were surrounded by a few feet of concrete walls. Well now that you’ve ‘resurfaced’,” he remarked, illustrating his point with air quotes, “I figured you would need a little help controlling it.”

“I don’t actually. I have no intentions of controlling it at all. When I’m changed my senses are at their fullest capacity and I plan on using my animal side to find the assholes that broke into my home.”

“And then what? Let nature take its course?”


“Basically.” Nick sighed, visibly shaken by Blake’s proposed course of action. “I’m not going to sit around and wait for them to come for me again or worse. They have Natalie’s pictures Nick, they know what she looks like and trust me it’s not exactly hard to find someone around this city who looks like her. Especially considering her and her family are in the papers or on the TV every other day for some public interest this or that. I can’t risk them hurting her because of me; I won’t.”

“And what happens if some poor schlub were to stumble into the path of that monster? Are you able to keep from eating him or will the news be reporting about Kibbles ‘n’ Bits the next morning?”


“I don’t know which is why I want you to stay away. You seem like stringy meat and I don’t care much to have to pick you from between my canines Nick.”

“Come on Blake I’m being serious here!”

“So am I. Like you’ve said I was mostly underground since my change. I have no idea if I can control myself around people because I’ve never tried. I don’t want you anywhere near this place tonight and I really don’t want Natalie here. Please. Just let me do this on my own. The last thing I want to do is hurt you.”


Deciding to give up the protest, Nick just sighed and kicked the bag at his foot again. “Fine but you owe me for this stuff; it wasn’t cheap you know.”

Blake eyed the bag of items again and smirked as he thought about the number of times he counted Nick or his dates scream ‘yes Master/Mistress’, through his bedroom wall. “You know what. I’m sure you’ll find a use for it,” he remarked and kicked the bag at his feet. “You should probably head out now Nick. I’m up in the mountains and it’s a long way home for you.”


Nick nodded, scooped up the bag and headed for the door. “Blake,” he started as he turned to give his friend one last look. “I know it’s probably no good saying this because you’re heading into some real shit but, be careful. I mourned you once already I really don’t want to do it again.” 


Blake hopped into his shower and let the warm water cascade down his back as he stood beneath the spray. Being topside again definitely had its benefits; warm water being one of them. Since returning home he found that one of his favorite activities was bathing as strange as it may seem. But it was a comfort he wasn’t afforded living in maintenance tunnels beneath the city.


Grabbing a dark, long sleeved shirt and jeans from his closet and a pair of boots, he quickly dressed and took one last look at himself in the mirror. Smiling ruefully at the face staring back at him he sighed and touched the mask gently as he again thought about the pictures of Natalie he lost. “There’s no chance she could ever love you anyway,” he growled and slammed his fist into the cabinet.


Blake closed his eyes and inhaled deeply. Nick was so sure that given the right opportunity Natalie could see him as a man worthy of her affections. Yet beneath the scarred exterior Blake knew better than to expect any acceptance other than quaint friendship. She was beautiful and flawless and deserved the same thing from the man she chose to love. And although she was a humanitarian, charity was the one thing he did not want from her; especially love. He had made the decision after watching her perform that he would cut all ties, he had to. But after learning that there were wolves near her he knew he needed to ensure her safety before he could walk away completely.


And that’s what he was doing now. Grabbing some extra clothes and his camera, he tossed the items into a knapsack and started for the door. He had to check on Natalie before tonight, her safety was his number one priority. Slipping once more onto the Silverman property, Blake ducked behind a large rose bush and waited for her to pass by her window or to catch a whiff of her scent. It wasn’t long before he spotted her in the second story window. She was dressed all in white ironically enough since he could only compare her appearance with that of an angel. Although irritation was painted on her face it didn’t deter from her beauty one bit as she looked at a dress her mother had just brought in. 


He could see the obvious disappointment on her face as she stared at the outfit yet the expression was lost on her Mother who continued touting the dress’ beauty. Finally deciding to give up the argument, Natalie nodded her head and Estelle exited her bedroom. Blake thought over whether or not he wanted to get her attention and say hello but Caesar alerted her to his presence before he had the chance to decide. 


Eagerly she waved at him before rushing from her bedroom and down to the gardens to see him. “Blake, hey! What are you doing here?”

“I just wanted to uh…I’m going out of town for a little bit and I just wanted to make sure you knew before I left.”

“What? You’re leaving?” she asked unable to mask the disappointment in her voice. With the masquerade coming soon, she had secretly been hoping he would attend but if he was leaving then there was no chance of that.


“Just for a little while. I just have something I need to take care of.” Thoughts turned to the full moon and the turmoil his body would have over the next three days but it was more than that. Just as he’d told Nick, with heightened senses it was the best time to go looking for the wolves that broke into his home. Added to the fact that his dreams seemed to be getting more and more urgent he needed answers and perhaps it was all related.

“When will you be back?”

“I’m not really sure but I’ll drop by and say ‘hi’ when I get in…if that’s ok with you.” 


“Yes that’ll be; that’ll be great,” Natalie smiled trying best to control her excitement. “And you are coming back right?”

“Absolutely. I’d hate to think you’ll be breaking into other people’s homes trying to fill the void of my absence. That could get pretty dangerous,” he joked, the massive grin on his face brightening his eyes.

“You know me too well,” Natalie giggled and chewed her bottom lip as she stepped even closer towards him.

“By the way, the dress your Mom chose isn’t so bad. While I know very little about women’s fashion anything you wear would be honored by the privilege,” he smirked at her blush and turned his attention towards the front door as he heard it shut.

“Miss Silverman?” Brody’s voice called from the front yard and she sighed hearing him approach.


“I should go but um…take care of yourself, alright?” He started towards the fence and hopped over it into the adjacent yard.

“Blake?” Natalie started, stopping him in his tracks. He looked at her and the melancholy appearance of her face. Maybe there was something there he hadn’t noticed before. They were friends sure enough but the sadness that held her expression made him feel wanted; as if she would sincerely miss his presence. Maybe Nick was right.

“Yes?” he responded, not daring to move closer yet hoping for her to ask him to stay or show some sign of longing; not that it would stop him from leaving.

“I’ll…I’ll see you,” she replied meekly. Blake smiled warmly and rushed off towards the woods.


Blake made it to Newport following the little clips of images that blurred through his mind from the night after his attack. He remembered waking up in a cabin far off the road up in the mountains found by a path hidden by a cave. It didn’t take very long for him to locate the stony hill and the massive, dark cavern that was surrounded by willow trees. “Here goes nothing,” he sighed to himself as he started up the mountain towards the small home.


But just as he made it up the three steps and to the front door, something hard struck him from behind leaving him sprawled out on the old, wooden porch. Before his eyes shut completely, he was able to make out a blurry image of a large wolf entering the decrepit old building. Candlelight illuminated a room just inside the door and the scent of blood found its way out to him as the wolf crept back towards him. “I knew you’d find your way home again,” he heard the man growl and he was out for good.

Continue ---->

16 comments:

  1. Wow loved the opening shots and that dream. It felt so real and based on the ending I guess it was. Damn Blake that's not good!!! You've been knocked out and by the guy that turned you it would seem. :( What will happen now? Will he do something to Blake or will he give him answers? UGH DJ why the hell did you end it like that????

    Ok Nick hahahaha I love him. So funny. And Blake

    “Look ok, I said whatever goes on in your bedroom was your business man, I don’t need a breakdown of the tools in your arsenal.” LMAO wow Nick, yummy yummy Nick is a freak in the bedroom!!! Hurry up and give us his chapter!

    But it was nice of him to show up to 'help' Blake with his change.

    Aww Natalie is gonna miss him. He really is her only friend and dealing with that mom of hers, she really needs the escape that Blake provides.

    “Absolutely. I’d hate to think you’ll be breaking into other people’s homes trying to fill the void of my absence. That could get pretty dangerous,” he joked, the massive grin on his face brightening his eyes.--too funny

    Aww me thinks Blake is falling in love and Natalie has a bit of a crush as well.

    Ok back to fussing. WTH Deej???? That ending is terrible and I need to know where the rest is right now!!!! UGH really Damn it all to hell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish the in game wolves looked anything like those shots but...we do what we can right? Blake's dreams were constantly pushing him towards something and now he finally knows (sorta) what that is. He went looking for answers but I'm afraid he may not like what he hears. I'm sure he's already regretting walking blindfolded into that place considering it was where he did his first change. But he didn't know what to expect. What happens next is anyone's guess. Blake will either get the answers he was looking for OR just find himself facing more danger than he thought possible. The guy who hit him though was obviously anticipating his arrival which means if he wanted to, he could have gotten to Blake at any time. That may mean Blake's in no real danger, right?

      Nick and his comic relief are a huge positive for Blake! It's nice having him around and Blake sees now that he had a friend in Nick the entire time. LOL! Yes, definitely not one to say "no" in the bedroom! I think Nick was also sort of interested in watching his friend go through a transition. Blake mentioned the night he revealed himself to Nick that wolves was his favorite "supernatural horror story" so I'm betting he was hoping for a little show too.

      Natalie has a major crush on the artist but has yet to make a move and Blake is finally noticing it for the first time. He may have a chance where he originally thought there was none. Now he's even more determined to make things right for her so that once all is safe again, he and Natalie can give it a shot.

      Blake is definitely in love though and more and more he is finding to be super comfortable around Natalie; joking, flirting...who knows, maybe next they meet they'll be kissing :D

      Huh? The end did what? Who would do such a thing! That's just awful! I think we should protest together...oh wait, no, you meant me. Um...yeah see the thing about that is um...

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  2. I loved the opening dream sequence. And I too wish the wolves in game looked like that!

    Naughty Nick! I really think you're going to need to elaborate on this more, like a lot, with pictures.

    Ah, I think Blake is having the moment of realization that Natalie may have more than platonic feelings for him. This is a good thing. Now he just has to keep her safe, which may be difficult since he isn't really keeping himself safe right now!

    Great update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be so bad ass! That's something to really be afraid of! I have a few skins but to make them really monstrous would rock!

      Hahaha absolutely! I think it would be fun watching him spank someone O.o

      Blake is seeing that Natalie may possibly feel something for him and I think that's the best news he could have ever gotten. Haha yeah he isn't really the best advocate for "safety" right now. Blake is in over his head. He really should have used a tiny bit more caution before approaching that building with all the bad vibes he was getting and his dreams. Hopefully though he is able to figure what's what and get back to Natalie so they can have that first kiss!

      Thank you :D

      Delete
  3. BLAKE!!!!
    *sniffle*
    I hope he's not in too much danger. (Doesn't help that I watched a movie about Ted Bundy last night, and he enjoyed hitting people over the head...) Maybe the wolf just wanted a friendly chat, but thought Blake would go for him if he didn't knock him out?

    SQUEEEEE! Natalie is crushing haaaard! Hehe :D
    I had a feeling she was, oh, about 13 chapters ago? But Blake is a little slow on the uptake there. I guess that has something to do with his self-esteem. And I think he judges Natalie a bit, thinks that because she's hot and rich, she won't like some guy who 'lost' his looks and lived in the sewers.
    ('lost' because he's still really hot)

    I'm with Jazen. Hurry up with this Nick chapter! Daymm!! :p He's a great friend, I hope Blake lets him watch his next transition :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wolf seems to know Blake which can be good or bad. If he's good, then Blake may be able to get answers to some of the questions he's had since changing. But if he's bad well, Blake is in for a pretty long night. One of the most dangerous things in the world is an imagination! Blake has met up with a wolf, but let's hope it's not one of those 'kill first ask questions later' types. Although he did knock him out. He could be just after that friendly chat like you said though! Anything is possible.

      Lol yes she is. She is falling for the mysterious and elusive Blake Foster and hoping that his leaving doesn't mean it's the end. She's trying not to appear too eager but I don't think it's working out for her. Blake is pretty slow lol he doesn't believe someone like her would be interested in someone like him since she's surrounded by beautiful people. Definitely a self-esteem issue. But I think he's finally beginning to see what Nick was telling him that all he has to do is have a little confidence and love himself first!

      Working on it :D Gotta get Nick to meet his "victim" first but that's next chapter! I'm sure he'd enjoy that and maybe he'll get the chance to see it!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  4. Lol at Nick's purchases. Yes, those items can be quite useful. ;)
    As for that scene with Natalie... dude! Wake up and smell the pheremones! (Spelling doesn't look right there n have terrible spellcheck on tablet) of course she likes you.

    I believe those dreams Were telling him something. I'm not positive that he'll discover it at that run down old house.
    Looks like he'll be an extended-stay visitor tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick's definitely gonna get some use out of that bag one way or the other! :) Haha it is funny to think he has increased senses but can't seem to pick up on the fact that Natalie is into him! Maybe when he gets home again he will be able to figure it out, who knows though, men :P

      He was seeing something in his dreams that led him to this place that hopefully helps lead him to those that attacked him. Maybe he's in the right place, maybe not but one thing is certain, whoever was there knows him so he might get some answers. Lol! He's made a reservation that's for sure, too bad it was against his will.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  5. Blake is really hot, scars and all! And Natalie was very cute in her last shot, she has a crush on him and can't deny it.

    But, wow, the ending... :-( I'm so worried for Blake now. That wolf didn't seem very, hmmm, "friendly".

    I'm looking forward to the next update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lol I think Natalie would agree even if she hasn't seen the other side of his face (which really isn't even that bad, just more scratches). She certainly is falling for him whether she admits it to herself or not. Blake needs to wake up and see it!

      That wolf was pretty hostile knocking him out the way he did but it may not be as bad as it looks. Blake can hopefully get himself out of this mess. With the moon being full, he'll also be able to have access to his animal side!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  6. I just found your site via Today in the World of Sim Stories... and... wow! Your story is amazing and I'm completely and totally hooked. I can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's awesome! I'll have to pop in and thank Seaweedy for the recommendation! I'm very happy to hear you've enjoyed it thus far, thank you so much for giving my story a chance! And I hope you continue reading as the story develops :)

      Delete
  7. I'm loving all your stories! Just finished Beauty today and love it! I hope the wolf who knocked him out isn't going to do terrible things to him! Ahh, Looking forward to seeing what happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jobug! I just read your comment about After Midnight and it made me smile! I love that you're enjoying them! I know some can get pretty wordy (especially when they started) but I've been working on that a LOT lol. Hopefully the man with Blake isn't someone who wants to prove himself and is looking to hurt him! But there are always ones to watch for especially when you are a lone wolf!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  8. hahahaha chains! Shackles! *LOL* The bedroom comment! *LOL*Nick

    I am curious now, after thinking a bit, why is he masked? If he heals fast like he did in the sewer attack, what's different about his face that it didn't heal if it was hit or cut?

    So.... He says goodbye to Natalie, and both of them feel the pull, I know it.

    And the cabin scene... ugh :( Welcome home? I am dying to know what that is about and what the werewolves want with him. Was he sought out or was his attack a random incident?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Nick is hardcore! Blake wasn't joking, he might be able to put some of that stuff to good use! :P

      Ah! Blake was attacked by normal wolves in the sewer tunnels. He escaped before Dante (the one holding Natalie's picture) showed up and he's an alpha. It's easier to heal from a normal attack but that of an alpha takes MUCH more to heal. This is actually a lead in towards the final few chapters so great eye!

      Oh yeah! They have to for sure. Blake keeps thinking he's in the friend zone but Natalie absolutely has feelings for him. They both are just unsure about how to approach it. And Blake's social awkwardness hurts more than helps!

      Some of those questions are actually answered in the next installment. Blake has found a MAJOR clue though finally listening to his dreams, dreams that his maker had been sending him for years!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete